Actinic Keratosis - Location on Body

If you're prone to actinic keratosis, where on your body do they usually appear?

Where on the body do actinic keratoses typically occur?

Common locations for actinic keratoses are the face, especially the cheeks and bridge of the nose, scalp, back of the neck, upper chest, as well as the tops of the hands and forearms. Men are more likely to develop AKs on top of the ears, whereas women's hairstyles often protect this area. AKs, especially on the scalp and the backs of the hands, may be hypertrophic (thickened skin).

Return to Actinic Keratosis

Comment from: Barbara Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I don't know if I'm prone to this actinic keratosis, but I have this spot on my lower lip, that almost feels like a chapped lip. It's only about 1/2 " long, but it looks a bit darker than normal lip color. I've had it for about 1 1/2 weeks, and this AM, I noticed a little red bump, right on the lower line of my lip. I've been keeping Neosporin on it continuously, which doesn't seem to help. My skin color is white, and I'm Irish and German.