Amblyopia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your amenorrhea?

What are the symptoms of amenorrhea?

Primary or secondary amenorrhea (respectively) is considered to be present when a girl has:

• not developed menstrual periods by age 16; or
  • a woman who has previously had a menstrual cycle stops having menstrual periods for three cycles in a row, or for a time period of six months or more and is not pregnant.

Other symptoms and signs may be present, which are highly variable and depend upon the underlying cause of the amenorrhea. For example, symptoms of hormonal imbalance or male hormone excess can include irregular menstrual periods, unwanted hair growth, deepening of the voice, and acne. Elevated prolactin levels as a cause of amenorrhea can result in galactorrhea (a milky discharge from the nipples that is not related to normal breastfeeding).

Return to Amenorrhea

Comment from: divya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 28 years old and never got my period by my own (suffering from hypothalamic amenorrhea). In my childhood I suffered from mumps. My uterus is hypo-plastic and breast was not developed fully. My pubic hair was also very less. My bone density was low and I never ovulate naturally. Currently I am on medication (since I was 16 year old) and lots of changes are taking place like breast size has increased, a lot more pubic hair and there is an improvement in the uterus size.

Comment from: jazzy2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had no issues with my periods prior, they were regular; I was on and off birth control. I have had one pregnancy before which ended in a miscarriage. None since, I have not had a period now for about 7 months, while I am on birth control now, the same one I have been on before, I have just stopped menstruating. I have gone to my primary care physician (PCP) one time after I missed my period three months in a row and they weren't really concerned. I take a pregnancy test every month just to make sure, and all are negative.