Amenorrhea - Experience

Please describe your experience with amenorrhea.

Please select the black triangle:

What is amenorrhea?

Amenorrhea is the medical term for the absence of menstrual periods, either on a permanent or temporary basis. Amenorrhea can be classified as primary or secondary. In primary amenorrhea, menstrual periods have never begun (by age 16), whereas secondary amenorrhea is defined as the absence of menstrual periods for three consecutive cycles or a time period of more than six months in a woman who was previously menstruating.

The menstrual cycle can be influenced by many internal factors such as transient changes in hormonal levels, stress, and illness, as well as external or environmental factors. Missing one menstrual period is rarely a sign of a serious problem or an underlying medical condition, but amenorrhea of longer duration may signal the presence of a disease or chronic condition.

Return to Amenorrhea

Comment from: HENRIMBU, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

AI am about 26 years old. I was born after eight and half months. My finger nails were not fully formed. My vagina or uterus was partly out. My nails were fully grown after about three weeks and my uterus receded about the same time. I have never menstruated and my breasts are not quite large enough at 25. The hair on my head fell off about about 9 years ago and it is quite scanty now. I am the shortest in our family as even my juniors are taller than me. I am anemic.I am stressed to death with all these deficiencies.

Comment from: Anonymous, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

I'm a pharmacist always under stress because I work 2 jobs. I took levonorgesterel tablets (Postinor 2) twice in 2 weeks and then I didn't see my period for a month. I started having discharges off white in color and with an odor so I took fluconazole 150mg and secnidazole 2g because infection could also be a cause of amenorrhea. I've done pregnancy tests twice using urine and a pregnancy strip and it says negative.

Stay Informed!