Osteomyelitis - Diagnosis

How was your osteomyelitis diagnosed?

Please select the white circle:

How is osteomyelitis diagnosed?

The diagnosis of osteomyelitis begins with a complete medical history and physical examination. During the medical history, the doctor may ask questions about recent infections elsewhere in the body, past medical history, medication usage, and family medical history.

The physical examination will look for areas of tenderness, redness, swelling, decreased or painful range of motion, and open sores.

The doctor may then order tests to help diagnose osteomyelitis. Several blood tests can be used to help determine if there is an infection present. These include a complete blood count (CBC), the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), C-reactive protein (CRP), and blood cultures. None of these is specific for osteomyelitis but they can suggest that there may be some infection in the body.

Imaging studies may be obtained of the involved bones. These can include plain radiographs (X-rays), bone scans, computed tomography (CT) scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRIs), and ultrasounds. These imaging studies can help identify changes in the bones that occur with osteomyelitis.

After an area of bone is identified with possible osteomyelitis, a biopsy of the bone may be obtained to help determine precisely which bacteria are involved, and the culture of this can indicate the best choice for antibiotic treatment.

Return to Osteomyelitis

Comment from: 123terry, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My bone infection (osteomyelitis) was discovered during a hip replacement surgery. The infection was caused by streptococcus bacteria. Some bone and tissue were removed, and a spacer filled with bone cement and antibiotics were attached at the pelvic bone with 2 screws. The antibiotics did not do the job. Right now I am looking at the same procedure again with a new spacer again. I am not sure about going down this road again.

Comment from: KBehr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I had been in and out of our city hospital because of heart problems. On each occasion, I suffered more and more pain in my lower back and hips. The doctor asked me about my back and I told him I had suffered with back problems for 25 years. Well, he said maybe it was this bed and they will get me an extension. I had been taking 10 mg methadone 3 a day for several years and always found it to be a terrific pain medicine. The hospital pain doctor visited and told me I was on too much medication. The fourth admission happened with a 104.5 temperature, heavy vomiting and delirium. The hospitalist called in the infection doctor who, after 1 day, concluded I had osteomyelitis and discitis and I have been on antibiotics and not quite enough pain medicine since that time. In fact, 4 days after discharge, I was back in the hospital specifically to somehow moderate the pain; a 10 day process! I have been told by other doctor friends (I am a psychologist who works in the medical arena), and everyone, but the treating doctor thinks that since it seems the pain from the infection began 6 months before diagnosis, and since the E-coli has settled deeply into my spine, I could be in for a lifetime of related problems. And on it goes.