Osteomyelitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.

Please select the black square:

What is osteomyelitis?

Osteomyelitis is infection in the bone. Osteomyelitis can occur in infants, children, and adults. Different types of bacteria typically affect the different age groups. In children, osteomyelitis most commonly occurs at the ends of the long bones of the arms and legs, affecting the hips, knees, shoulders, and wrists. In adults, it is more common in the bones of the spine (vertebrae), feet, or in the pelvis.

Return to Osteomyelitis

Comment from: kerry, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

For three weeks my daughter aged 12 has had a really sore toe and redness and a bit of pain. I took her to the local general physician who prescribed antibiotic. Well, with 2 courses of this the symptoms got worse with blood tests that showed nothing. I asked for an x-ray to be done, we had this done and she was sent to the emergency department (ED). At the hospital she was diagnosed with osteomyelitis in her big toe. She had surgery, lost 25 percent of her joint and stayed in there for 5 day with IV antibiotic. Now she is home today with 6 weeks of oral antibiotics. Concern is she is still with the prospect of more surgery at later date.

Comment from: dragonfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I woke up one morning in extreme pain in my neck and shoulder with a small red dot on my collar bone that grew rapidly over the next week. After 3 months of oral antibiotic and a doctor treating me for MRSA, a friend that was a nurse referred me to an infectious disease doctor and he diagnosed me with osteomyelitis within 30 minutes. I ended up having my collar bone part of my sternum and part of one rib removed because of the delay in treatment. If I had not finally taken my medical care into my own hand and insisted on a MRI and a new doctor I would be dead today!