Osteomyelitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteomyelitis.

Please select the black square:

What is osteomyelitis?

Osteomyelitis is infection in the bone. Osteomyelitis can occur in infants, children, and adults. Different types of bacteria typically affect the different age groups. In children, osteomyelitis most commonly occurs at the ends of the long bones of the arms and legs, affecting the hips, knees, shoulders, and wrists. In adults, it is more common in the bones of the spine (vertebrae), feet, or in the pelvis.

Return to Osteomyelitis

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis when I was nine years old, it was in my femur. My symptoms started with severe pains in my stomach which was only eased by bringing my knees tight up to my chest. Then the pain started in my thigh on a night, with hot sweats and the pain was unbearable. My mother sent for the doctor who had me rushed into hospital, and had an operation the following morning. I woke with my leg in a splint and I was transferred to a children"s hospital where I spent another nine months. I was given a handful of tablets to take each day with daily injections. I am 64 now and played active sports all my life without any problems.

Comment from: LLemons, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with osteomyelitis shortly after my 50th birthday. I had the most horrible pain ever in my right femur. At first I thought it was arthritis, and the pain worsened. I was admitted to the hospital and was diagnosed. I had a 3rd world infection (no idea where I got that) and strep in the femur after staying in the hospital for 9 months. I had 12 surgeries and a rod was placed in the femur; I am doing well. Cold and rainy weather make my leg ache but I am so thankful to be walking.