Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cauda equina syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of cauda equina syndrome?

Symptoms of cauda equina syndrome include low back pain, numbness and/or tingling in the buttocks and lower extremities (sciatica), weakness in the legs, and incontinence of bladder and/or bowels. The numbness of cauda equina syndrome typically is in the distribution of where the body would touch a saddle when sitting upon a horse, and is referred to as "saddle anesthesia."

Partial cauda equina syndrome is the terminology that applies when there is incomplete compression of the nerves of the lower spinal cord. This can elicit various degrees and combinations of the symptoms listed above. With complete cauda equina syndrome, the array of symptoms listed above is commonplace.

Return to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Comment from: baboosh44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I have a bulging disc at L4, L5 and S1. I had it for about three weeks when my doctor sent me for an MRI and EMG. I'm really scared because I feel like something has gone totally wrong in my body. I can hardly bend my waist a certain way without excruciating pain. The same thing is happening with my hips and leg. I can't walk on my right foot at all and my left foot is shaking. To get up to go to the rest room is all I can do. I go this week for an epidural spinal pain shot and am scared that if something else is going on, we won't see it.

Comment from: steve, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had subdural hematoma in December 2011 that resulted in cauda equina. I have been self-catheterizing 4 times a day, and I have trouble with bowel movement.