Cauda Equina Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cauda equina syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of cauda equina syndrome?

Symptoms of cauda equina syndrome include low back pain, numbness and/or tingling in the buttocks and lower extremities (sciatica), weakness in the legs, and incontinence of bladder and/or bowels. The numbness of cauda equina syndrome typically is in the distribution of where the body would touch a saddle when sitting upon a horse, and is referred to as "saddle anesthesia."

Partial cauda equina syndrome is the terminology that applies when there is incomplete compression of the nerves of the lower spinal cord. This can elicit various degrees and combinations of the symptoms listed above. With complete cauda equina syndrome, the array of symptoms listed above is commonplace.

Return to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Comment from: Hoping the best, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

Here are the facts. I had a snowmobile accident on February 1st, 2015. I was busted up pretty good and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. Once there, it was found I had multiple fractures and I was kept in the emergency for 32 hours. I was sent home after multiple x-rays and CT scans. I had all the trouble in the world getting back home and the pain would get more and more intense. Twenty-four hours after being home we called an ambulance to take me back to the hospital because at this point I was now incontinent and the pain was extreme. At this point they sent me right away for an MRI and that was when they discovered cauda equina syndrome (CES). They searched for a neurosurgeon and found one and I was transferred by ambulance for an emergency operation to release the nerves on my L-3 and L-4. It has been a little over 4 months and I spent 3 weeks at the hospital then 6 weeks at a rehabilitation center. I am now back home and I go 4 days a week for physiotherapy and occupational therapy. I started out with a wheel chair for about 2 months, then went on to a walker, then a pair of crutches down to a cane. I still have bowel, urinal and rectal issues, three things that I don t really have any control over. But I am working out and doing plenty of exercise and hoping for the best. It can be very scary not knowing what the future is but they keep telling me to be patient; now they know that I am not patient and I am tired of hearing them telling me to be just that.

Comment from: Robert Walker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

In the year 2000, I had emergency surgery at my doctor's hospital, after it was determined I had equina syndrome. Unofficially I feel it was caused by improper diagnosis and treatment at another hospital, giving me weighted traction for my lower back pain I was experiencing. I had immediate terrible pain, they realized something was wrong and sent me by ambulance to my doctor's hospital about 30 miles away. My doctor immediate recognized my symptoms and ordered an MRI and surgery to help. I now have permanent nerve damage, and have issues with bowels, bladder and no Sexual function, and loss of sensation in my left leg and foot too.