Sinus Headache - Experience

Please describe your experience with sinus headache.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a sinus headache?

If the lining of the ducts or tubes that connect the sinuses to the back of the nose becomes inflamed, the sinuses may not be able to drain normally, and pressure may build up within the blocked sinus. There may also be associated swelling and inflammation of the lining of the sinuses, resulting in increased mucus and fluid secretion. This increase in fluid and pressure causes the pain of a sinus headache. The term sinusitis is used to describe inflammation of the sinus (sinus + itis = inflammation).

Return to Sinus Headache

Comment from: RMax, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a frontal headache that varied in intensity at different times of the day. I developed a foul-smelling yellow discharge from my right nostril. After two months I was given a month's course of an antibiotic (amoxicillin). The discharge stopped almost at once, though the sinus headache persisted (I grind my teeth a lot and smoke). A month after the end of treatment, the discharge returned. That"s where I"m at now.

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

My sinus headaches occur almost daily. The varying pain is between my eyes and just above my nose. Some days are just worse than others. Unless I experience an infection, which doesn"t happen very much, I take one extra strength Excedrin tablet, lay down in a quiet room with a cold pack strapped to the front area above the eyes. Usually the headache goes away after about 20 minutes. If not, a second cold pack for about 20 minutes usually does the trick. I have dealt with these headaches for over 45 years.