Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience

Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.

Please select the white circle:

What is Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP)?

Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) is a form of blood vessel inflammation or vasculitis. There are many different conditions that feature vasculitis. Each of the forms of vasculitis tends to involve certain characteristic blood vessels. HSP affects the small vessels called capillaries in the skin and frequently the kidneys. HSP results in a purplish skin rash (most prominent over the buttocks and behind the lower extremities) associated with joint inflammation (arthritis) and sometimes cramping pain in the abdomen. Henoch-Schonlein purpura is also referred to as anaphylactoid purpura.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: AmyCB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura when I was about 15. I got the rash all over the lower half of my body. I went to doctor after doctor before I was diagnosed. I am now 42 and about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with kidney disease. I continued to have a large amount of protein and blood in my urine and the doctor I worked with continued to encourage me to have a 24 hour urine done. I finally have done it and my 24 hour urine was 1750 and it should have been less than 150. I went and saw a nephrologist and was started on medication to protect my kidneys. I will be on that for the rest of my life. I have had 2 children and always had a large amount of protein and urine noted in my blood and it was never checked. I am thankful that I am more than likely at my baseline with my kidney disease and so thankful that someone stayed after me to get testing done.

Comment from: hpalomo, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 12 year old son developed Henoch-Schonlein purpura. He started with a mild rash on his legs, mostly below his knees, and on his buttocks. He also had a sore throat, and just wasn't feeling well. He saw his primary care physician and was diagnosed with purpura. His strep test, blood work, and urine test all came back normal. After 2 weeks the rash was quite significant, almost shocking to look at. He still has a sore throat, and just doesn't feel well. Thanks to your website I have knowledge of this auto-immune disease, and know what to expect. I still am taking him to the doctor today to have a checkup.