Henoch-Schonlein Purpura - Experience

Please describe your experience with henoch-schonlein purpura.

Please select the white circle:

What is Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP)?

Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) is a form of blood vessel inflammation or vasculitis. There are many different conditions that feature vasculitis. Each of the forms of vasculitis tends to involve certain characteristic blood vessels. HSP affects the small vessels called capillaries in the skin and frequently the kidneys. HSP results in a purplish skin rash (most prominent over the buttocks and behind the lower extremities) associated with joint inflammation (arthritis) and sometimes cramping pain in the abdomen. Henoch-Schonlein purpura is also referred to as anaphylactoid purpura.

Return to Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

Comment from: Moraviangal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with HSP (Henoch-Schonlein purpura) in the fall of 2007, although it took a month for the army doctor to figure it out. My rash started on the left foot near a raised pink spot on my foot, which I am pretty sure was a spider bite I got in a hotel room in Poland. It spread from the left leg upward and then to both legs and finally over three fourths of my body. It became difficult to walk and I ended up with a cane for a few weeks, not to mention terrible aching and low grade fevers. I was put on steroids and it eventually cleared up. My eyesight in my left eye has degraded and so has my hearing somewhat, but I have not had a recurrence. This happened when I was 44 years old and I had an earlier history of psoriasis but nothing unusual, other than lacking a spleen.

Comment from: Faith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) in 1959 at age nine. Symptoms were rash on lower body, severe abdominal pain, and bleeding from the rectum. I lost weight and developed swollen legs. After being hospitalized for 6 months I went home to finish recuperating. Since then I have had recurring attacks, at age 13, 45 and now 65. I also developed psoriasis at age 25 after birth of first child and suffer with arthritis. I had to have a hemi-colectomy of the sigmoid colon. At onset no medical doctors knew what to do and I had many specialists taking blood and doing tests. I had 3 injections a day for 3 months to stop bleeding. Thank goodness I had a great general physician who had an interest in hematology and never gave up!