Cryptosporidiosis - Diagnosis

Please discuss the process and tests that led to a diagnosis of cryptosporidiosis.

How is a cryptosporidiosis diagnosed?

Your health care provider will ask you to submit stool samples to see if you are infected. Because testing for Crypto can be difficult, you may be asked to submit several stool specimens over several days. Tests for Crypto are not routinely done in most laboratories. Therefore, your health care provider should specifically request testing for the parasite.

Return to Cryptosporidiosis

Comment from: cmur443, Male (Patient) Published: June 02

After 2 emergency room (ER) visits I was told it was flu, and or something viral that needed to be worked out. Then since my last ER visit on a Friday, I got in to my doctor on Monday. Originally he thought it was a return of previously diagnosed diverticulitis, but after 5 days of Flagyl and Cipro and I was getting worse, he decided to sample stool and there it was, cryptosporidiosis! I really think ERs should sample stool since they are already sampling blood and urine. Especially if it can stop an illness that can potentially cause an epidemic! Not to mention, it would have possibly saved me a week of misery.