Cryptosporidiosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with cryptosporidiosis.

What is cryptosporidiosis?

Cryptosporidiosis is a diarrheal disease caused by microscopic parasites, Cryptosporidium, that can live in the intestine of humans and animals and is passed in the stool of an infected person or animal. Both the disease and the parasite are commonly known as "Crypto." The parasite is protected by an outer shell that allows it to survive outside the body for long periods of time and makes it very resistant to chlorine-based disinfectants. During the past 2 decades, Crypto has become recognized as one of the most common causes of waterborne disease (recreational water and drinking water) in humans in the United States. The parasite is found in every region of the United States and throughout the world.

Return to Cryptosporidiosis

Comment from: queenie88, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Cryptosporidiosis was horrid. The first day I had diarrhea about 30 times, no exaggeration. I could keep nothing down, I was dizzy, nauseated and extremely lethargic. This continued for 9 days, with the rate of diarrhea decreasing steadily till it evened out at around 7 to 10 times per day. I had no strength. Day 7 or so I had lost 12 pounds and was so dehydrated. My doctor gave me two bags of fluids IV. And my body took them in about 30 to 40 minutes. My potassium levels were low, 2.9, I believe. I had a prescription for potassium and anti-nausea. Today is the 13th day, and I'm feeling better. I still have bad stomach and abdominal cramps, but the diarrhea has just about ended.

Comment from: cruzroja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was having bouts of diarrhea and abdominal cramping. It was thought it was my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). But one day it was so bad and usual IBS medicines were not working. I brought stool specimen to lab to check for parasites (I live in Mexico). It was positive for cryptosporidiosis. I tried homeopathic substance and it got worse. I went to traditional doctor and now on nitazoxanide. I hope this works. My symptoms are low energy, daytime sleepiness, abdominal soreness, diarrhea, and low appetite.