Uterine Fibroids - Surgery

If you had surgery to remove fibroids, describe the procedure. Are you satisfied with the results?

Please select the white circle:

Surgery for fibroids

There are many ways of managing uterine fibroids. Surgical methods are the mainstay of treatment when treatment is necessary. Possible surgical interventions include hysterectomy, or removal of the uterus (and the fibroids with it). Myomectomy is the selective removal of just the fibroids within the uterus. Myomectomy can be done through a hysteroscope, laparoscope or with the standard open incision on the abdominal wall. Some treatments have involved boring holes into the fibroid with laser fibers, freezing probes (cryosurgery), and other destructive techniques that do not actually remove the tissue but try to destroy it in place. Surgery is necessary if there is suspicion of malignancy in any case of a leiomyoma or uterine mass.

Another technique for treating fibroids is known as uterine artery embolization (UAE). This technique uses small beads of a compound called polyvinyl alcohol, which are injected through a catheter into the arteries that feed the fibroid. These beads obstruct the blood supply to the fibroid and starve it of blood and oxygen. While this technique has not been in use long enough to evaluate long-term effects of UAE versus surgery, it is known that women undergoing UAE for fibroids have a shorter hospital stay than those having surgery but a greater risk of complications and readmissions to the hospital. Studies are underway to evaluate the long-term outcomes of UAE as opposed to surgical treatment. Uterine artery occlusion (UAO), which involves clamping the involved uterine arteries as opposed to injecting the polyvinyl alcohol beads, is currently under investigation as a potential alternative to UAE.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 days ago. Ten years ago I had surgery to remove the fibroids from my uterus. This time it wasn"t an option for me. I"m doing great with my recovery. I spent 1 night in the hospital and have been home resting since then. I feel better now than I did in the months before this procedure. My fibroids were ruining my life. The pain and bleeding was too much to take. Find a doctor who is experienced with this method. So much better than the big incision some doctors do.

Comment from: dade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a surgery to remove fibroids from my uterus which went well. That was about 8 months ago. Now I am desperate for a baby but am not getting pregnant. I have one son whom I had before the surgery. I wonder if the surgery could have affected my conceivability.