Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps

Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.

Please select the black triangle:

Non-cancerous growths that cause breast lumps

• Fibroadenomas are benign (not cancerous) growths and are very common. These growths most commonly occur in women 30 to 35 years old, but can also occur in women under 30 years of age. Fibroadenomas are solid, firm tumors that are usually painless or only slightly tender. They sometimes grow quickly in teenagers or during pregnancy.
  • Breast cysts are fluid-filled, tiny sacs within the breast tissue and are benign. They are very common, especially over the age of 35. These cysts often vary in size during the menstrual cycle and may be tender.
  • Fibrocystic changes are characterized by breasts that are lumpy with many irregularities in the breast that feel almost grainy. Fibrocystic breasts seem to occur because a woman's breasts are extra sensitive to fluctuating hormone levels. Women with fibrocystic changes may have pain and/or lumps.
Return to Breast Lumps (In Women)

Comment from: youngladyKT, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast when I was 15 and had my first surgery at 16. The lump that was removed was the size of half a golf ball and extremely painful. Unfortunately, my surgeon butchered me horribly. My next surgery was when I was 18, a week before prom. Something happened so that I couldn't walk afterwards, so I had to learn to walk a week before I was set to walk in 5-inch heels. I get ultrasounds every 6 to 9 months, and every time I get one, I hear that I have more lumps. I have refused for doctors to cut on me because they aren't cancerous. Now I have a huge lump really close to my nipple and it gives my boob a burning sensation. I am very nervous to see what it might be. My advice: Get checked.

Comment from: blufftongal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had breast lumps removed 5 times. My first was when I was 18 years old. And 5 after that. I have had 2 needle biopsies and 3 aspirations. In today"s medical procedures with mammograms and sonograms there is no need to cut out lumps before doing a needle biopsy. I have so much scar tissue it is hard to feel what is normal. I suggest you have it checked and get a needle biopsy first.