Breast Lumps in Women - Benign Lumps

Please share your experience with the discovery and diagnosis of non-cancerous breast lumps.

Please select the black square:

Non-cancerous growths that cause breast lumps

• Fibroadenomas are benign (not cancerous) growths and are very common. These growths most commonly occur in women 30 to 35 years old, but can also occur in women under 30 years of age. Fibroadenomas are solid, firm tumors that are usually painless or only slightly tender. They sometimes grow quickly in teenagers or during pregnancy.
  • Breast cysts are fluid-filled, tiny sacs within the breast tissue and are benign. They are very common, especially over the age of 35. These cysts often vary in size during the menstrual cycle and may be tender.
  • Fibrocystic changes are characterized by breasts that are lumpy with many irregularities in the breast that feel almost grainy. Fibrocystic breasts seem to occur because a woman's breasts are extra sensitive to fluctuating hormone levels. Women with fibrocystic changes may have pain and/or lumps.
Return to Breast Lumps (In Women)

Comment from: blufftongal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had breast lumps removed 5 times. My first was when I was 18 years old. And 5 after that. I have had 2 needle biopsies and 3 aspirations. In today"s medical procedures with mammograms and sonograms there is no need to cut out lumps before doing a needle biopsy. I have so much scar tissue it is hard to feel what is normal. I suggest you have it checked and get a needle biopsy first.

Comment from: liz, Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 30 years old and I had a 3 cm mass at my right breast so I went to see a doctor and she said that I need to go for an ultrasound. So I did and after that the doctor found out that I have 3 cm lump, already a big one. So after that they told me to go for biopsy, and I did a fine needle aspiration biopsy. When I got the laboratory result my doctor said that it is a mass and it is not cancerous but still I am worried because I could still feel the solid mass in my right breast. The doctor said it could be removed if I want to, but still I am scared it could lead into a cancer in a long run.