Pain Management - Effective Treatments

Please describe the type of pain you suffer from, and what treatments have been effective for the pain.

How is pain treatment guided?

The treatment of pain is guided by the history of the pain, its intensity, duration, aggravating and relieving conditions, and structures involved in causing the pain. In order for a structure to cause pain, it must have a nerve supply, be susceptible to injury, and stimulation of the structure should cause pain. The concept behind most interventional procedures for treating pain is that there is a specific structure in the body with nerves of sensation that is generating the pain. Pain management has a role in identifying the precise source of the problem and isolating the optimal treatment.

Fluoroscopy is an X-ray guided viewing method. Fluoroscopy is often used to assist the doctor in precisely locating the injection so that the medication reaches the appropriate spot and only the appropriate spot. Ultrasound is also used to identify structures and guide injections.

Return to Pain Management

Comment from: jerry S, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My wife has had neuropathic face pain for 5 years now. None of the medicines work, and none of the surgeries work, they only make her worse. She has gone everywhere, seen 17 neurologists, seen 3 psychiatrists, and had 2 years of pain management, biofeedback, and 5 acupuncturists. She has lost 75 pounds, and has tried 2 stimulators. I am surprised she is still alive. All doctors have given up! What do we do!

Comment from: livingBtrnow, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

My pain started out young with scoliosis and being in an accident at 17. I had as a result, fractured 2 vertebrae, 4 broken ribs and contused kidneys. I was assaulted and almost lost my life. Face reconstruction that required several titanium plates, bolts, you name it, is in me. One of my nasal cavities was crushed, so I get a lot of infections. I have been on every medication out there. The only medication that really makes me feel like I am a normal person is methadone. Not only is it cheap it works! I guess everyone has something that agrees with their body. In the morning I still feel like I was hit by a train, but I take my medicines and lie down and they start to work, some bad days where I am in pain because of barometric pressure and some days I can get up and start my day. It has really helped me be a person who can work and be alert, unlike the other medicines I tried, I started to feel like a guinea pig. My last doctor suggested it and put me on it. Best decision I have made. If you have severe pain methadone works very well; for me at least.