Tylenol Liver Damage - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of Tylenol-induced liver damage in you or someone you know?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms and signs of acetaminophen-induced liver damage?

Three clinical stages (phases) of acetaminophen-induced liver injury have been described.

During the first phase, that is, the initial 12 to 24 hours or so after ingestion, the patient experiences nausea and vomiting.

For the next perhaps 12 to 24 hours, which is the second phase or the so-called inactive (latent) phase, the patient feels well.

In the third phase, which begins about 48 to as late as 72 hours after the ingestion of acetaminophen, liver blood test abnormalities begin to appear. Most notably, extremely high (abnormal) levels of the liver blood tests, AST and ALT, are common with this type of liver injury. The outcome (prognosis) of the liver injury can be predicted fairly accurately on the basis of the patient's clinical exam and blood tests. For example, at one extreme, if the patient develops severe acid buildup in the blood, kidney failure, bleeding disorders, or coma, then death is almost certain. Only a liver transplant can possibly save such a patient.

Return to Tylenol Liver Damage

Comment from: mtm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was injured working, unloading a truck. I had 50 lb. bags of pet food on a pallet, collapse on me. I was standing in front of the pallet in a confined space, inside the truck. It was a 1500 lb. plus pallet, and as it was not wrapped, when my manager reached on top of it for a loose box, it just started to collapse on me. I went through all the steps of a work injury. Hospital did the tests, and therapy. I was told to go back to work and if I was in pain to take Tylenol. I was stuck in a no help zone. Everyone said it was fine. I worked for 4 more years in pain. It got worse and I was told to take Tylenol. Now, that I worked till I couldn't anymore, I have liver problems, and am getting no help. I am sorry to go on like this, but I have been on this horrible ride for nearly eight years.

Comment from: PATRICK, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

Mother was 95 and was in perfect health and had arthritis. The Tylenol she took for the arthritis destroyed her liver, and caused leukemia which killer her. She took a lot of it but never enough to be called an overdose. I feel Tylenol is poison and should be banned from use. Very dangerous stuff.