Athlete's Foot - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your athlete's foot last? Was there anything that helped with symptom relief?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms and signs of athlete's foot?

Many individuals with athlete's foot have no symptoms at all and do not even know they have an infection. Many may think they simply have dry skin on the soles of their feet. Common symptoms of athlete's foot typically include various degrees of itching and burning. The skin may frequently peel, and in particularly severe cases, there may be some cracking, pain, and bleeding as well. Rarely, athlete's foot can blister.

Return to Athlete's Foot

Comment from: Sympathizer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I first contracted athlete's foot (AF) after a two-month hospital stay. One foot became infected from either the hospital room shower, new socks worn without first laundering, or borrowing my husband's sandals because my feet were swollen after the birth of twins. Vinegar soaks in disposable bowls and thorough drying with paper towels followed by Tinactin spray worked over the course of 3 months. I wrapped my foot in paper towels secured by a rubber band to avoid spreading the fungus to carpet/sheets. Don't rub infected areas -- when I ran a cotton ball soaked with vinegar across my foot the fungus spread rapidly from my toes to my entire sole with large blisters. My right hand was also red/itching but cleared up as my foot improved, I used a disposable medical glove when handling my children. Old socks/shoes should be discarded. I still dry all laundered socks inside out and slip paper towels into my shoes if not wearing socks. Glad to learn that Listerine/Vicks VapoRub and ingested garlic/immune system boosters also help!

Comment from: Dutchess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I suffered from athlete's foot on my feet and hands and I ran across an article that suggested vinegar was the cure. It did help at first but it took forever before I saw any differences in my condition. So I tweaked it, I added salt, which dries out the fungus while the vinegar does its work. I had foot and hand fungus for almost 10 years and was afraid it was never going to end. But thanks to someone's post and a little intuition I am freed. So please try vinegar with salt and make it into a paste and apply to the infected area. Good luck!