Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Please select the white circle:

Eosinophilic esophagitis facts

• Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammatory condition of the esophagus that affects both children and adults, and men more than women.
  • Eosinophilic gastroenteritis may be due allergy to an as yet unknown food allergen.
  • The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is dysphagia (problems swallowing) for solid food.
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis stiffens the esophagus so that solid foods have difficulty passing through the esophagus and into the stomach.
  • Other common causes of dysphagia for solid food are esophageal strictures and Schatzki rings.
  • The diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis usually is made during an endoscopy (EGD), performed for the evaluation of dysphagia. The diagnosis is confirmed by biopsy of the esophagus.
  • The treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis is with proton pump inhibitors and swallowed fluticasone propionate. Gentle esophageal dilatation is used when meditations fail to relieve dysphagia.
Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: IowaGuy85, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) about 5 years ago, and am currently 28. I always assumed that my food allergy was random, because I would choke on different things, and be fine with that same thing the next. I recently started a diet, and eliminated pop and processed foods, switching to fruits and vegetables. I discovered, with an emergency trip to the hospital, that orange/citrus was a major culprit. I used to drink a lot of Mountain Dew, whose main ingredient is concentrated orange juice. Since eliminating oranges from my diet, I have gone from choking every other meal to not having an issue at all.

Comment from: Laura E., 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My 5 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis (EE) when she was 20 months old. She was biopsied and allergy tested by the Atopy patch method. She ended up reacting to all animal products, corn, rice and green legumes. We eliminated all of the indicated substances from her diet (and a few more as her body indicated), and she started growing. We have been able to avoid all medicine intervention in her case. Her treatment is strictly dietary. She is now a very healthy child who is looking forward to kindergarten next year. Good luck to everyone dealing with this infuriating disease, may you find your answers as we have!