Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Please select the white circle:

Eosinophilic esophagitis facts

• Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammatory condition of the esophagus that affects both children and adults, and men more than women.
  • Eosinophilic gastroenteritis may be due allergy to an as yet unknown food allergen.
  • The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is dysphagia (problems swallowing) for solid food.
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis stiffens the esophagus so that solid foods have difficulty passing through the esophagus and into the stomach.
  • Other common causes of dysphagia for solid food are esophageal strictures and Schatzki rings.
  • The diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis usually is made during an endoscopy (EGD), performed for the evaluation of dysphagia. The diagnosis is confirmed by biopsy of the esophagus.
  • The treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis is with proton pump inhibitors and swallowed fluticasone propionate. Gentle esophageal dilatation is used when meditations fail to relieve dysphagia.
Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: EoEchick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have confirmed diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis, after endoscopy, dilation and colonoscopy, and nonfunctioning gallbladder removal. Currently I feel fabulous. My best advice is to get skin prick allergy test. I strictly removed all confirmed allergens from my diet (soy, dairy, tree nuts, and gluten). Inhaled confirmed allergens (grasses, pollens, dust mite, etc.), who knows, can't stop breathing, guess time will tell. I keep on hand swallowed steroids, used for approximately 3 weeks. Good result. But I feel allergenic food elimination is vital to feeling so much better. I still take Prilosec generic every day with super enzymes 1 per day. Can't tell you how much better I feel every day! Hope this helps anyone going through this right now, research on web may help.

Comment from: Cullensmum, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My 15 year old son has been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis, and we've done the allergy testing and it came back negative (food and environmental). We've had 2 biopsy procedures and he's been taking Nexium 40 mg daily since late November late year. The last biopsy showed there were still changes going on in his throat. We're now heading back to see the specialist tomorrow to see what our next move is. I just wish I knew what was causing it!