Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Please select the black triangle:

Eosinophilic esophagitis facts

• Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammatory condition of the esophagus that affects both children and adults, and men more than women.
  • Eosinophilic gastroenteritis may be due allergy to an as yet unknown food allergen.
  • The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is dysphagia (problems swallowing) for solid food.
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis stiffens the esophagus so that solid foods have difficulty passing through the esophagus and into the stomach.
  • Other common causes of dysphagia for solid food are esophageal strictures and Schatzki rings.
  • The diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis usually is made during an endoscopy (EGD), performed for the evaluation of dysphagia. The diagnosis is confirmed by biopsy of the esophagus.
  • The treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis is with proton pump inhibitors and swallowed fluticasone propionate. Gentle esophageal dilatation is used when meditations fail to relieve dysphagia.
Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: Millakaus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was just diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis. I had trouble swallowing for years. This past May I ruptured my esophagus and almost died. Prior to this rupture I had several scopes and not one doctor could find anything wrong. I finally got a team of doctors and am glad that I have eosinophilic esophagitis as opposed to the alternative diseases that could have caused my rupture. I still need to see an allergist and find out what I'm allergic to. Right now my doctor told me to eliminate wheat and dairy. Good luck everyone. This has been a long road for me and I now have a diagnosis and a start of a plan.

Comment from: Adamo41, 35-44 (Patient) Published: September 30

I have eosinophilic esophagitis; was diagnosed earlier in the year. I am on pantoprazole and Flovent. My symptoms went from feeling like I had major chest pain and a constant burning in my throat, to feeling better and then now I feel like my throat is constricting and it won't stop day or night. I've tried the elimination diet for a week at a time with each food group and no success. I wonder if there is anything out there that would make the constricting feeling go away. I feel like I am going to throw up and I can't breathe.