Eosinophilic Esophagitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with eosinophilic esophagitis.

Eosinophilic esophagitis facts

• Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammatory condition of the esophagus that affects both children and adults, and men more than women.
  • Eosinophilic gastroenteritis may be due allergy to an as yet unknown food allergen.
  • The major symptom in adults with eosinophilic esophagitis is dysphagia (problems swallowing) for solid food.
  • Eosinophilic esophagitis stiffens the esophagus so that solid foods have difficulty passing through the esophagus and into the stomach.
  • Other common causes of dysphagia for solid food are esophageal strictures and Schatzki rings.
  • The diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis usually is made during an endoscopy (EGD), performed for the evaluation of dysphagia. The diagnosis is confirmed by biopsy of the esophagus.
  • The treatment of eosinophilic esophagitis is with proton pump inhibitors and swallowed fluticasone propionate. Gentle esophageal dilatation is used when meditations fail to relieve dysphagia.
Return to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

Comment from: Adamo41, 35-44 (Patient) Published: September 30

I have eosinophilic esophagitis; was diagnosed earlier in the year. I am on pantoprazole and Flovent. My symptoms went from feeling like I had major chest pain and a constant burning in my throat, to feeling better and then now I feel like my throat is constricting and it won't stop day or night. I've tried the elimination diet for a week at a time with each food group and no success. I wonder if there is anything out there that would make the constricting feeling go away. I feel like I am going to throw up and I can't breathe.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

It all started when I started having random bouts of severe chest pains that mostly occurred on my right side. After making multiple trips to the emergency room and having tons of bloodwork, no one could find out what was wrong with me. They first thought it was my heart or possibly a clot in my lungs. They even checked on my gallbladder and pancreas and nothing would show up. I finally visited a gastroenterologist to have my gallbladder checked and she decided that my symptoms were quite a bit different than the typical gallbladder/pancreas problems. I had an upper endoscopy done and sure enough, eosinophilic esophagitis showed up in the biopsy. I am now on Prilosec 20 mg and a Flovent inhaler for treatment. Symptoms have dramatically improved, but I still have days where my chest pain returns if I eat something I shouldn't have or if I'm under a lot of stress. Lately I was on doxycycline for a respiratory infection and it flared my acid reflux up so I'm going through some pain right now. I have quite a lot of food allergies so it's incredibly difficult to find out which is the trigger for the pain. The only thing I haven't ruled out is wheat, which I'm about to try going wheat free to see what happens. I'm a 20 year old college student so it's hard to keep the stress levels down at times, but I have noticed it flares up more when I feel stressed, which is aggravating because the pain stresses me out at times, which only makes things worse. Very annoying disease, but I'm so glad to have found a doctor who knows what's wrong with me. I wish the best of luck to anyone with this condition. It's not an easy thing to live with.