Itching - Associated Symptoms

In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?

What are associated symptoms and signs of itching?

Depending upon the underlying cause, itching may be associated with other symptoms and signs. Most commonly, these associated findings include skin lesions such as rash, blisters, bumps, or redness of the affected area. Dryness of the skin is a common cause of itch. Itching of skin can lead to tears in the skin (excoriations) from scratching. Less commonly, generalized itching can be a sign of chronic medical conditions such as liver disease. In these situations, there may be no changes to the appearance of the skin.

Return to Itching

Comment from: Kat49kan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My itching started on my scalp. Then started on stomach; legs and arms. I took blood test which showed ANA was positive. Positive for what? Now heading to a rheumatologist for her to determine what's going on. It has been 6 months now and I am miserable.

Comment from: Joyce, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had cataract surgery in November 26, 2013 in the left eye and I have had continuous itching problems with it since. My doctor keeps telling me it's the membrane and he will perform laser surgery in April to correct this problem. Recently I have black spots floating around, very annoying and now there is an infection. My right eye was done in January 26, 2014 and is perfect. I keep saying it"s a defective lens but he keeps telling me no. Also the eye is always very dry.