Itching - Associated Symptoms

In addition to itching, what other signs or symptoms did you experience?

What are associated symptoms and signs of itching (pruritus)?

Depending upon the underlying cause, itching may be associated with other symptoms and signs. Most commonly, these associated findings include skin lesions such as rash, blisters, bumps, or redness of the affected area. Dryness of the skin is a common cause of itch. Itching of skin can lead to tears in the skin (excoriations) from scratching. Less commonly, generalized itching can be a sign of chronic medical conditions such as liver disease. In these situations, there may be no changes to the appearance of the skin.

Return to Itching (Pruritus)

Comment from: Full time mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Last couple weeks I have noticed I have increased itching in random areas of body, around my ankles, hands, palms, back, waist, and on top of hands. I don't have hives or irritation or any flaring of skin but I scratch just enough where I leave scratch marks on my skin. It feels like something is crawling underneath skin. I try to rub but occasionally it is not enough that I end up scratching. This to me is not something normal.

Comment from: Patti, Female (Patient) Published: November 02

The itching started out on my stomach, it is tiny red bumps that I scratch till bleed. The rash has spread to under and on the outer sides of my breasts. My skin feels prickly, like the nerves are on top of my skin. Now within the last 3 days it has spread to my back, between my shoulder blades and just above my buttocks. It is also extremely itchy. I've used cool damp washcloths, Sarna anti-itch lotion, Curel anti-itch lotion, Benadryl, and lukewarm showers for some relief. Nothing is effective. I went to an Urgent Care and the doctor told me it was contact dermatitis, but never looked at the rash. He gave me a prescription cream that worked for a few days. Most of the bumps went away, but not for long. Now, they are back and worse than before! I've changed soaps, detergents, wearing looser clothing all to no avail. I'm at my wits end with this.