Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for neck pain? What are home remedies for neck pain?

The treatment of neck pain depends on its precise cause. Treatment options include rest, heat or cold applications, traction, soft collar traction, physical therapy (ultrasound, massage, manipulation), local injections of cortisone or anesthetics, topical anesthetic creams, topical pain patches, muscle relaxants, analgesics, and surgical procedures. Home remedies for treatment, such as Jacuzzi treatment, neck pain relief exercises and stretches, and neck pain relief products such as neck pillows for sleep and hot pads can be very beneficial for relief of some forms of neck pain. There are many treatment options, depending on the particular neck problem and past treatment experiences. Alternative treatments that have been used for chronic neck pain include acupuncture.

Return to Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)

Comment from: cookie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I started out with terrible neck pain that moved down to my shoulders and then into my arm and my hand. Doctors tried spinal injections, then neck injections, physical therapy, and, of course, tons of painkillers. A brain and spine specialist finally offered an experimental surgery option to me to replace my collapsed c6-7 discs with stainless steel discs. It was an implant made by Medtronic and the surgery is called a cervical arthroplasty. When I awoke from surgery, I had absolutely no pain, and refused to take even an aspirin from the recovery room nurse. It was a lifesaver. I couldn't have lived with the constant pain that I had. If you have cervical disc problems ask your doctor about the procedure.

Comment from: kmartin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. The pain took my breath away, radiated down my shoulders and into my arms. I had tingling in my fingers and arms and lost strength, making it impossible to do normal things like opening a door. The doctor prescribed cortisone for inflammation and injections, physical therapy and rest. I also tried acupuncture. After one year and a bad case of gastritis and about 25 lbs. heavier, I had not improved. Finally I decided to do the opposite. I began to exercise, do neck stretching exercises and weight lifting and yoga, all with the intent of increasing circulation, lose the new weight and reduce stress. I also began to take Aleve for the first time, which was fantastic. Today I am practically pain free, having only the occasional crisis which I am sure are caused by tension.