Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

What are cytomegalovirus symptoms and signs?

Most people infected with CMV do not have any symptoms. Acute CMV infection may cause infectious mononucleosis-like (or mono-like) symptoms such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of appetite, and fatigue.

In people with a suppressed immune system, CMV infection can attack different organs of the body and may cause blurred vision and blindness (CMV retinitis), lung infection (pneumonia), diarrhea (colitis), inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), causing possible behavioral changes, seizures, or coma.

Infants with CMV infection at birth (congenital CMV) can show signs and symptoms of yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), skin rash, low birth weight, pneumonia, big liver and spleen, and seizures.

Return to Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Comment from: Jake, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I've been experiencing constant fatigue, redness and mottling to both arms and extreme red palms. Additionally my upper and lower joints constantly ache. My physician did inform me that my test came back positive for cytomegalovirus (CMV, it's just that I couldn't find any information pointing to my particular signs and symptoms. My platelets have been slightly low as well. I'm a paramedic and wonder how I contracted CMV and if I would be putting patients at risk even though I'm practicing good body substance isolation.

Comment from: AD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I experienced body aches like I had the flu. My stomach really hurt too and I had no energy. I took a nap every day with my toddler daughter and woke up still achy and feeling bad. That's it. No fever and no other symptoms. Doctor treated me for a urinary tract infection, but after the antibiotics were finished I still felt awful. He ordered more bloodwork and determined it was CMV (cytomegalovirus). Today is 3 weeks since the illness started and I started to feel better yesterday. My stomach still feels tender and he said to give that 2 more weeks.