Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

Please select the black triangle:

What are cytomegalovirus infection symptoms and signs?

Most people infected with CMV do not have any symptoms or complications and do not recall any contact with an infected person, so most people are unaware they have been infected. Acute CMV infection may cause infectious mononucleosis-like (or mono-like) symptoms, such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of appetite, enlarged liver or spleen, and fatigue.

In people with suppressed immune systems, CMV infection can attack different organs of the body and may cause blurred vision and blindness (CMV retinitis), lung infection (pneumonia), diarrhea (colitis), inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), which may cause behavioral changes, seizures, or coma.

Infants with CMV infection at birth (congenital CMV) can show signs and symptoms of yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), skin rash, low birth weight, pneumonia, enlarged liver and spleen, and seizures.

Return to Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I started out getting thrush, couldn't eat, and would gag on everything. After I lost 10 lb. the doctor did an EGD and it showed thrush in my esophagus and stomach. They said it was my immune system and gave me antifungal medicines and said I shouldn't get it anymore; that was 5 years ago. Since then I have had thrush at least twice a year and my ulcers were multiplying. I told them about losing a child to cytomegalovirus (CMV) and they tested me for it (which they should have done in 1993 when I lost my son), but they didn't till I asked them to in January of this year and it was positive. So that is why they told me I get thrush. Now I blame CMV on my ulcers also. I get worn down faster now than I did before my CMV kicked in. And it kicks me for a good month when I get sick.

Comment from: Bevj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was in my early 40s when I was diagnosed with cytomegalovirus (CMV). A lot was going on in my life. My sister was diagnosed with chronic mononucleosis and hepatitis. I was running back and forth, my son was sick, long hours at work, and then when I got tired at first I ignored it. Then it got where I could not stay awake. I thought I had contracted the mononucleosis. I went to the doctor got tested it was negative. Then he said there is one more test for a virus that acts the same. Titer was off the roof. I was over a year getting better. I still have times where I am so tired I cannot get out of bed for days. I always worry I might give it to someone else. More needs to be done to cure this. If they can cure hepatitis C, why not CMV!