Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

What are cytomegalovirus symptoms and signs?

Most people infected with CMV do not have any symptoms. Acute CMV infection may cause infectious mononucleosis-like symptoms such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of appetite, and fatigue.

In people with a suppressed immune system, CMV infection can attack different organs of the body and may cause blurred vision and blindness (CMV retinitis), lung infection (pneumonia), diarrhea (colitis), or inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) and inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) with possible behavioral changes, seizures, or coma.

Infants with CMV infection at birth (congenital CMV) can show signs and symptoms of yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), skin rash, low birth weight, pneumonia, big liver and spleen, and seizures.

Return to Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Comment from: CarJo1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

When I was 27 years old, I got really sick and had a very high fever. I didn't have insurance and didn't go to the doctor when I first got sick. When I did go, I had had the fever, brain fog, a pasty film in my mouth, severe weakness and deep muscle pain for almost 2 weeks until I could get to a doctor. He said I had the flu and that was about it. A couple of years later, I was working in a reference lab and a friend that did TORCH panels, tested me just to see if I had any antibody levels to anything. My CMV (cytomegalovirus) level was through the roof. I had been suffering with extreme lethargy and brain fog all that time. I am now 52 years old and had to retire with disability because of the damage done to my immune system. I attribute my health problems to adult onset of CMV. I have chronic fibromyalgia, brain fog, joint pain, neuropathy, lymphocytic colitis, etc. I have many more health problems that I could probably attribute to the CMV that may not be linked to it yet.

Comment from: mla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I began experiencing quite serious unexplainable fatigue when I was 16 years old and was tested for many things. The only thing that came up was that I had had cytomegalovirus (CMV). The doctor say this was the only plausible reason for my fatigue and bone aches. I am now 21 with no progression, still struggling to get through one day without having a 2 or so hour nap. Everyday tasks are exhausting and it's very hard to be motivated. Would love any form of help!