Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

What are cytomegalovirus infection symptoms and signs?

Most people infected with CMV do not have any symptoms or complications and do not recall any contact with an infected person, so most people are unaware they have been infected. Acute CMV infection may cause infectious mononucleosis-like (or mono-like) symptoms, such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of appetite, enlarged liver or spleen, and fatigue.

In people with suppressed immune systems, CMV infection can attack different organs of the body and may cause blurred vision and blindness (CMV retinitis), lung infection (pneumonia), diarrhea (colitis), inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), which may cause behavioral changes, seizures, or coma.

Infants with CMV infection at birth (congenital CMV) can show signs and symptoms of yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), skin rash, low birth weight, pneumonia, enlarged liver and spleen, and seizures.

Return to Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Comment from: mommaxena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had cytomegalovirus (CMV) many years ago. I had raging fever for almost 6 weeks, 101 to 104. Bone and joint pain was off the charts at times. I had extreme fatigue and overall weakness. I lost almost 30 lb. I have later in life been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My gut says there is some connection.

Comment from: Ronni, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

When I was 40, I was very yellow, and had absolutely no energy, could hardly even walk, and felt like I was dying. I had blood test run, my CMV (cytomegalovirus) test was extremely high, along with my LFTs (liver function tests). I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis (AH). That was 25 years ago, I don't know which illness came first. I am being treated for AH. I was never treated for CMV.