Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with CMV?

What are cytomegalovirus infection symptoms and signs?

Most people infected with CMV do not have any symptoms or complications and do not recall any contact with an infected person, so most people are unaware they have been infected. Acute CMV infection may cause infectious mononucleosis-like (or mono-like) symptoms, such as fever, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of appetite, enlarged liver or spleen, and fatigue.

In people with suppressed immune systems, CMV infection can attack different organs of the body and may cause blurred vision and blindness (CMV retinitis), lung infection (pneumonia), diarrhea (colitis), inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), which may cause behavioral changes, seizures, or coma.

Infants with CMV infection at birth (congenital CMV) can show signs and symptoms of yellow skin and eyes (jaundice), skin rash, low birth weight, pneumonia, enlarged liver and spleen, and seizures.

Return to Cytomegalovirus (CMV)

Comment from: Bevj, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was in my early 40s when I was diagnosed with cytomegalovirus (CMV). A lot was going on in my life. My sister was diagnosed with chronic mononucleosis and hepatitis. I was running back and forth, my son was sick, long hours at work, and then when I got tired at first I ignored it. Then it got where I could not stay awake. I thought I had contracted the mononucleosis. I went to the doctor got tested it was negative. Then he said there is one more test for a virus that acts the same. Titer was off the roof. I was over a year getting better. I still have times where I am so tired I cannot get out of bed for days. I always worry I might give it to someone else. More needs to be done to cure this. If they can cure hepatitis C, why not CMV!

Comment from: Girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was hospitalized for 2 weeks and diagnosed with CMV (cytomegalovirus, herpes 5). I am 25. I have been diagnosed with severe Crohn's for almost 3 years. I had a 101 to 104 fever for 4 weeks. I was very sick, burnt out brain, naps at work, just trying to break the fever. With my joint and muscle pain and extreme exhaustion, I could not make it up stairs without sitting down. I was taking 100 to 150 mg of Imuran for Crohn's for about a year when I became very sick. My lab work had shown poor WBC and RBC counts among other things. As I got sicker, my gastroenterologist increased the drug and I declined. I finally after a couple of months saying 'I need to get an opinion from an infectious diseases doctor,' I spiraled downhill and was hospitalized for the CMV infection.