Hernia - Laparoscopic Surgery

Did you have laparoscopic surgery for a hernia? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is laparoscopic abdominal hernia repair surgery?

A number of factors have led to the development of a new method of repair called laparoscopic hernia repair. This technique is an extension of a traditional mesh repair method that was used in patients who had already experienced several hernia recurrences at the same site. Previously, this mesh repair approach had required a separate incision somewhat removed from the target area. However, with the progressive development of the instruments and techniques for laparoscopic surgery, the same procedure can now be done with several relatively small incisions. This allows the surgeon to enter the space behind the hernia defect and place the mesh with minimal injury to the surface of the abdomen. The advantages of this method include coverage of all the potential sites of groin hernia, which reduces the risks of recurrence while also decreasing the amount of postsurgical pain.

Return to Hernia

Comment from: Sl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a hysterectomy a couple of weeks ago. A large, previously undiagnosed hernia was found. Recovery from both surgeries is steady, but the hernia repair is much more painful during resting and light activity. Scars are small - unnoticeable really. My advice lots of pain medication and colace !!!!

Comment from: paddy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I just had an inguinal hernia repair done on Monday and I have been recovering but I noticed my scrotum is black and blue. My hernia was really bad and was hanging down into my scrotum.