Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

Please select the black square:

What is heat rash?

The skin's job is to protect the inside of the body from the outside world. It acts as a preventive barrier against intruders such as pathogens that cause infection, chemicals, or ultraviolet light from invading or damaging the body. It also plays an important role in the body's temperature control. One way that the body cools itself is by sweating, and allowing that sweat or perspiration to evaporate. Sweat is manufactured in sweat glands that line the entire body (except for a few small spots like fingernails, toenails, and the ear canal).

Sweat glands are located in the dermis or deep layer of the skin, and are regulated by the temperature control centers in the brain. Sweat from the gland gets to the surface of the skin by a duct.

A heat rash occurs when sweat ducts become clogged and the sweat can't get to the surface of the skin. Instead, it becomes trapped beneath the skin's surface causing a mild inflammation or rash.

Heat rash is also called prickly heat or miliaria.

Return to Heat Rash

Comment from: Annieo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had this heat rash for about a month. Whatever I do, it will not go. I am overweight and have saggy breasts and a kangaroo pouch for a stomach. The rash is under these areas.

Comment from: Michaela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have suffered from heat rash for as long as I can remember. I have never been able to find a way to prevent it from flaring up on my holidays until this year. After spending a lot of time researching I came across someone that had used a fairly simple remedy. I splashed out on 1 or 2 bars of Dettol antibacterial soap and on a large bottle of Banana Boat aloe vera gel. Each night on holiday I washed using the soap which stripped all of the sunscreen off, which kept my pores unblocked. Then I covered myself in the aloe vera. If I got hot at night I showered again in the mornings too. I used Boots Soltan sensitive sun cream especially made to prevent prickly heat. Hey Presto, no heat rash at all for the whole holiday. I will never worry about my holiday being spoilt again or having to keep out of the sun.