Heat Rash - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with heat rash.

What is heat rash?

The skin's job is to protect the inside of the body from the outside world. It acts as a preventive barrier against intruders such as pathogens that cause infection, chemicals, or ultraviolet light from invading or damaging the body. It also plays an important role in the body's temperature control. One way that the body cools itself is by sweating, and allowing that sweat or perspiration to evaporate. Sweat is manufactured in sweat glands that line the entire body (except for a few small spots like fingernails, toenails, and the ear canal).

Sweat glands are located in the dermis or deep layer of the skin, and are regulated by the temperature control centers in the brain. Sweat from the gland gets to the surface of the skin by a duct.

A heat rash occurs when sweat ducts become clogged and the sweat can't get to the surface of the skin. Instead, it becomes trapped beneath the skin's surface causing a mild inflammation or rash.

Heat rash is also called prickly heat or miliaria.

Return to Heat Rash

Comment from: Thiagarajan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was suffering from heat rashes for six weeks. After going through causes and remedies for this in these web pages, I have followed my own following procedure: i) for a week I worked out for half an hour daily so that there was sufficient sweating, ii) applied sesame oil on the head and bathed twice a day, iii) every alternate day I drank the water of a tender coconut and iv) I wore clothes washed without soap. Now I am free of heat rashes for the past few weeks.

Comment from: Common, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 06

The other night I awakened to heat in my face and within minutes it moved down my entire body. My skin felt tingly like pins and needles. I got up and went to the bathroom mirror where I saw my face very puffy and red and slowly watched as all the skin over my whole body became red like a sunburn. I used a damp cool cloth on my face. I checked my temperature to be sure I wasn't having a fever and my temperature was normal. After a few minutes I felt better but my skin has been very dry and somewhat red since. It has been two days since. I normally have psoriasis and eczema in certain areas on my body at times. This has never occurred before.