Fibrocystic Breast Condition - Breast Cancer Risk and Concerns

If you have fibrocystic breasts, are you worried about developing breast cancer? Please share your concerns.

Please select the white circle:

Why can fibrocystic breast condition be associated with an increased risk of breast cancer?

Environmental, dietary, and metabolic toxins may also interact with a woman's complex hormonal system to increase the risk of mutations and thus increase the risk of breast cancer. It has been demonstrated that individuals differ significantly in their ability to break down and remove toxins from the body. Some of this varied response to toxins may be due to inherited differences. The potential for DNA damage (leading to genetic errors or mutations), which can be caused by a variety of damaging agents combined with the stimulation of cell division, is what ultimately leads to the risk of breast cancer that is associated with some cases of fibrocystic breast condition; the ability to recognize and repair DNA damage, a process that cells must continuously perform, varies from person to person.

Return to Fibrocystic Breast Condition

Comment from: Sanding, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts from when I was in my teens. I had my first surgery at about 15 my second one in my early twenties. As I get older my worries increase that I might get cancer and what make it worse is my sister was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. She had to take off her right breast and is now doing chemotherapy. I started mammogram from the age of 25 and have been doing it every year along with ultra sound. I really get panic attacks when I think about it. Every year it is horror waiting on my result. Not easy at all!