Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for canker sores?

In most cases, canker sores do not require any treatment. If a person already has a canker sore, there are steps that can be taken to help relieve the pain or irritation caused by the sore and speed healing:

• Topical medications applied directly on the sore, mouthwashes, and oral medications can relieve pain or inflammation.
  • Avoid acidic foods such as citrus fruits or spicy foods that may aggravate the sore.
  • If there is any vitamin deficiency (a doctor can test for this), take supplementation as prescribed.
  • Brush teeth gently and use a brush with soft bristles.
  • Use toothpaste and mouthwash that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
  • Another home remedy is to mix milk of magnesia with Benadryl liquid and use as a mouth rinse.
  • Other natural remedies include goldenseal mouth rinse, deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) gargled in warm water, and saltwater rinses.
Return to Canker Sores

Comment from: hillcrest59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 53. I have had canker sores my entire life. As a teen and young adult, I would get 2 to 10 sores at a time. I have been prescribed colchicine (since I was 30) that I take on a daily basis. I have a prescription of lidocaine as topical treatment when one erupts. I also take sublingual vitamin B12 when one erupts. I get swollen glands every time with a sore. I often feel as if I have an earache because of the pressure of the swollen glands. I typically get an outbreak once a year even with the daily colchicine. My sores typically appear right before, during or shortly after my men's trial cycle. The colchicine has been my miracle drug!

Comment from: Rebus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been plagued with severe outbreaks of debilitating canker sores since childhood. The pain was like the worst toothache. They were less frequent in summertime but during the winter were almost continuous. I discovered a simple yet 100% effective preventive measure. Simply supplement with a minimum of 4000IU per day of vitamin D3. Alternately, 30 minutes of full body sun exposure per day around midday is also 100% effective (but don"t overdo it as sunburn will adversely affect the immune system).