Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for canker sores?

In most cases, canker sores do not require any treatment, and there is nothing specific you need to do to get rid of a canker sore because it usually will heal on its own. If a person already has a canker sore, there are home remedies that can be used to help relieve the pain or irritation caused by the sore and to speed healing:

• Topical medications applied directly on the sore, mouthwashes, and oral medications can relieve pain or inflammation.
  • Avoid acidic foods such as citrus fruits or spicy foods that may aggravate the sore.
  • If there is any vitamin deficiency (a doctor can test for this), take supplementation as prescribed.
  • Brush teeth gently and use a brush with soft bristles.
  • Use toothpaste and mouthwash that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
  • Another home remedy is to mix milk of magnesia with Benadryl liquid and use as a mouth rinse.
  • Other natural remedies include goldenseal mouth rinse, deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) gargled in warm water, and saltwater rinses.
Return to Canker Sores

Comment from: JackHammer, Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm 64 years old and have had canker sores on and off since I was 13 years old. I've used every OTC product there is and none has ever stopped or healed the sore; the gels and liquids usually numb the sores and provide a little relief. The best home remedy I've found is rinsing my mouth with 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide which contains a mixture of 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda. If you can afford to go to a dermatologist that's the best option. Find a dermatologist who will treat your canker sore with phenol. Trust me, phenol gives me immediate relief. Though I pay a $40 co-pay it is well worth it to me.

Comment from: NancyKJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Orajel always works on my canker sores. Whenever I drink Kool-Aid, I get them. So, of course, the other thing that works is not drinking Kool-Aid.