Edema - Edema Experience

Please describe your experience with edema.

Please select the black square:

Edema facts

• Edema is a swelling, usually of the legs, due to the accumulation of excessive fluid in the tissues.
  • The edema that occurs in diseases of the heart, liver, and kidneys is mainly caused by salt retention, which holds the excess fluid in the body.
  • In certain liver and kidney diseases, low levels of albumin in the blood can contribute to fluid retention.
  • Heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and a kidney disease called nephrotic syndrome are the most common systemic diseases that cause edema.
  • Excess fluid that accumulates in the lungs is called pulmonary edema.
  • Excess fluid that accumulates in the abdominal cavity is called ascites.
  • Edema of unknown cause occurs primarily in women.
  • Varicose veins or thrombophlebitis (a blood clot in an inflamed vein) of the deep veins in the legs causes edema that is localized to the legs.
  • Therapy for edema consists of treating the underlying conditions, restricting salt intake, and often using diuretics (medicines to induce urination).
Return to Edema

Comment from: ursula, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 22

I have diabetes and going through menopause. I have swelling in both feet and when I press on the skin it takes 8 seconds to go back to normal. I have no fever, no shortness of breath, just swollen feet.

Comment from: suni123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Suddenly I have pain and swelling with redness and heat in my legs, feet, hands, knees and joints. This has been going on for 3 weeks and the pain is severe. I am on Coumadin and cannot take some pain relievers. I cannot sleep and the pain is awful. I have a mechanical heart valve.