Edema - Diuretics

Do you take diuretics to control edema? Please discuss your experience.

Please select the white circle:

Are diuretics used for other purposes?

Diuretics have several other uses in addition treating edema.

• A diuretic may be used as part of the treatment program for patients with hypertension. (High blood pressure may be caused by salt retention, or caused by some antihypertensive medications). In fact, most medications that dilate the blood vessels and reduce blood pressure, except for ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers, lead to secondary salt retention by the kidneys.
  • Thiazide diuretics also have been used to prevent the formation of kidney stones. These drugs reduce the urinary excretion of calcium, which is a component of the kidney stone.
  • Acetazolamide (Diamox) taken a few days before going to high altitudes, appears to reduce the tendency for people to develop altitude sickness.
Return to Edema

Comment from: puffy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was taking a daily diuretic for several months (it helped but not fully), until I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. The doctors said diuretics may have been the cause. Now I take a different diuretic 3 times a week and the edema is much worse.

Comment from: anna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I take furosemide for idiopathic edema. I don"t add salt to my food but that doesn"t seem to help. In the morning I have periorbital edema and swelling in my hands. If I don"t take a diuretic, I"ll end up with some fluid in my abdominal area and, by the end of the day, my lower legs are affected.