Edema - Signs and Symptoms

In addition to swelling, what were your signs and symptoms associated with edema?

What is edema?

Edema is observable swelling from fluid accumulation in body tissues. Edema most commonly occurs in the feet and legs, where it is referred to as peripheral edema. The swelling is the result of the accumulation of excess fluid under the skin in the spaces within the tissues. All tissues of the body are made up of cells and connective tissues that hold the cells together. This connective tissue around the cells and blood vessels is known as the interstitium. Most of the body's fluids that are found outside of the cells are normally stored in two spaces; the blood vessels (as the "liquid" or serum portion of your blood) and the interstitial spaces (not within the cells). In various diseases, excess fluid can accumulate in either one or both of these compartments.

The body's organs have interstitial spaces where fluid can accumulate. An accumulation of fluid in the interstitial air spaces (alveoli) in the lungs occurs in a disorder called pulmonary edema. In addition, excess fluid sometimes collects in what is called the third space, which includes cavities in the abdomen (abdominal or peritoneal cavity - called "ascites") or in the chest (lung or pleural cavity - called "pleural effusion"). Anasarca refers to the severe, widespread accumulation of fluid in the all of the tissues and cavities of the body at the same time.

Return to Edema

Comment from: olga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have pitting edema on my feet and legs. They are very tender and sore to the touch.

Comment from: kattbonz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I did not know I had edema until I kept calling the doctors trying to find out why my potassium was staying severely low and why whenever I crossed my legs, indentation stayed for several seconds. The nurse told me I had pitting edema, after three years of begging for answers no one can tell me why my body cannot keep potassium. I have rods and screws in my back and live in chronic pain.