Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Coping

How do you cope with PTSD? What would you recommend to someone who is facing the challenges associated with PTSD?

How can people cope with PTSD?

Some ways that are often suggested for PTSD patients to cope with this illness include learning more about the disorder as well as talking to friends, family, professionals, and PTSD survivors for support. Joining a support group may be helpful. Other tips include reducing stress by using relaxation techniques (for example, breathing exercises, positive imagery), actively participating in treatment as recommended by professionals, increasing positive lifestyle practices (for example, exercise, healthy eating, distracting oneself through keeping a healthy work schedule if employed, volunteering whether employed or not), and minimizing negative lifestyle practices like substance abuse, social isolation, working to excess, and self-destructive or suicidal behaviors.

Return to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Comment from: Robogirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am female, 51. I have tried anti-depressants and did not like the side effects. I treat my PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) as a wrestling match. I try to be the healthiest I can be, so when I have anxiety or depression, my physical body doesn't fail me. I am very strict on my diet, low carbs, high protein eating and a salad every day, I exercise every day, and I keep regular eat/sleep times. Eight glasses of water, no sugar, and I try to eat fruit when I want something sweet. Yoga is extremely beneficial at helping calm your mind and hot yoga has really helped me. It's good to have a number of activities to prevent boredom: biking, swimming, running, walking, hiking, or joining a team sport. City recreation centers are very affordable. Absolutely no alcohol, ever, and I even switched my mouth rinse to a non-alcohol. I don't have television in my home. Finding a good therapist is important but difficult. It's good to have an activity you can get lost in, to give your mind a rest. I find it calming to work calculus problems because you can only think of the problem at hand; but you need something that you always enjoy doing, like gardening. When feeling depressed, keep your same routine getting up early, showering. When melancholy sets in, I mail a funny card to someone, clean the house, get some sunshine if possible, and understand that this feeling will pass. I have had problems with addiction and I think no medications is the best way to go but you have to be able to calm your mind and sometimes the medications are the only way to get a calm mind but I would avoid all pain medications if possible. And realize the benefits of having PTSD, you probably have an excellent memory and this can serve you well in life.

Stay Informed!