Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Causes

What was the cause of PTSD in you or someone you know?

What causes PTSD?

Virtually any trauma, defined as an event that is life-threatening or that severely compromises the physical or emotional well-being of an individual or causes intense fear, may cause PTSD. Such events often include either experiencing or witnessing a severe accident or physical injury, receiving a life-threatening medical diagnosis, being the victim of kidnapping or torture, exposure to war combat or to a natural disaster, exposure to other disaster (for example, plane crash) or terrorist attack, being the victim of rape, mugging, robbery, or assault, enduring physical, sexual, emotional, or other forms of abuse, as well as involvement in civil conflict. Although the diagnosis of PTSD currently requires that the sufferer has a history of experiencing a traumatic event as defined here, people may develop PTSD in reaction to events that may not qualify as traumatic but can be devastating life events like divorce or unemployment.

Return to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

Comment from: SueJ, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

Our only daughter died from liver disease three months ago. I, her mother cannot function. I cannot even explain the hurt in my heart. I am in a fog as I try to go through the day. We were with her when she took her last breath. I have flashbacks of that night and watching my beloved daughter die. I cannot explain the pain I feel.

Comment from: Martita, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

The PTSD I suffer from occurred from the home environment I was subjected to for the first eighteen years of my life. There was alcoholism, brutal abuse, sadistic treatments from my father, and violence, each of which caused my brother and I to have to hide to keep from being caught up in it. This was not always possible so we were directly exposed to all of the above, as well as witnessing our mother experience the worst of it.