Tonsillitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your tonsillitis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of tonsillitis or an adenoid infection?

The most prominent symptom of tonsillitis and adenoid infection is a sore throat. Other symptoms of tonsillitis and adenoid infection include:

• Fever
  • Bad breath
  • Congestion and runny nose
  • Swollen lymph nodes in front of the neck
  • Red, swollen tonsils with patches of pus (white spots)
  • Pain or difficulty swallowing
  • Loss of voice or muffled voice
  • Headache
  • Abdominal pain
  • Coughing up blood
  • If the adenoids are enlarged, breathing through the nose may be difficult
    • Breathing through the mouth, especially in children
    • Noisy breathing in the day; snoring at night is often observed
    • Voice may be nasal-sounding

When there is a sore throat and cold symptoms such as congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and coughing, the cause is most likely a virus. Viral infection of the tonsils or adenoids usually resolves without treatment within two weeks.

Sore throat with a sudden mild fever, without symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection may point to a bacterial infection. If these symptoms are present, see a doctor for diagnosis because of the risk of strep throat. Although strep throat will usually go away even without treatment, an untreated strep infection can lead to complications including rheumatic fever, which can permanently damage the heart.

Return to Tonsillitis

Comment from: Chisholm, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I got a tick off me on a Friday. By, Monday l was swollen in my face and hand and was sick like I had the flu! I tried to work two days, and by the end of my Tuesday shift, my legs and feet were swollen so bad l could barely walk and l felt foggy. I also had huge red rashes under the skin, above each ankle. I went to the emergency room (ER), doctor said he didn't think it was Rocky Mountain spotted fever, but was going to treat me for tick bite. I had IV of strong antibiotics, doxycycline, something other and 20 pills of the same for 10 days. They said in 15 days they'll know my blood test results, and no call is a good thing! I have been so sick, severe joint aches, and weak, tired and just somedays barely go! Twenty three days later came a call from the hospital and they said l was positive for Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Thanks to the medicines, it made it my first and last trip to the ER! The nurse said my veins were extremely small, and asked if l used to abuse steroids! Unimpressed with doctor's concern. If l go to the doctor l am sick, and l was actually afraid to drive, but more afraid of not going!

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Twenty five years ago my husband had a ruptured aneurysm ensuing which shunt was placed. Over the past couple years I noticed first his gait getting bad. Then his cognition. I feared he was headed to early dementia and finally got an appointment with a neurosurgeon who told me his shunt had failed! Some more of his symptoms of his hydrocephalus included recent incontinence and very, very slow thinking. I'm wondering if loss of libido is tied in to all this. The recent shunt revision has evidently failed also and he is, tomorrow the 29th, headed for a second surgery to find out what's going on.