Keloid - Experience

Please describe your experience with keloids.

What is a keloid?

Keloids can be considered to be "scars that don't know when to stop." A keloid, sometimes referred to as a keloid scar, is a tough heaped-up scar that rises quite abruptly above the rest of the skin. It usually has a smooth top and a pink or purple color. Keloids are irregularly shaped and tend to enlarge progressively. Unlike scars, keloids do not regress over time.

Return to Keloid

Comment from: Bye Bye Bucks, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I had open heart surgery seven years ago and my scar has grown into a six by one inch keloid. First two years I tried all type of creams and oil. I had steroids injections on the third and fifth year, this helps a little by flattening. I got several infections, at least two per year, probably hair follicle. Today I went to a plastic surgeon who has scheduled me for removal of keloids with a skin graft from thigh. I am afraid to go through with this surgery and the keloids might become bigger.

Comment from: Shogurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have a large keloid on my chest next to my left breast. It resulted from a small mole removal. It grew, and I had injections that were so painful I screamed in the doctor's office each time. I could not take the pain so I went to a surgeon by referral. He cut it out and after 6 weeks it returned with a vengeance! I have tried silicone patches, vitamin E, olive oil; nothing works. It is painful and unsightly. My husband is supportive and concerned that it returns and gets larger. I can't wear low-cut clothes. I am embarrassed when I get my mammogram. I hope for new medical solutions that really work.