Lichen Planus - Prognosis

Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?

Please select the black square:

What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus?

Lichen planus usually goes away by itself in time. Some drugs can produce rashes that are similar in appearance to lichen planus. These rashes can be distinguished from lichen planus in that they go away when the offending drug is stopped.

Lichen planus, by contrast, usually persists quite a while before resolving. The average duration of the condition is four years. Even after going away, lichen planus may recur. The disease is thus paradoxical in that it tends to be self-limiting but may recur after years. It is usually not associated with any body-wide (systemic) diseases or problems.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had lichens planus for over 7 years in the vaginal area. It is chronic. My husband and I have not been able to have intercourse because it is just too painful. I am constantly sore, red and the itching is overwhelming. No physician has found a treatment that works for me. My dermatologist sends me to my gynecologist. My gynecologist sends me back to the dermatologist. No one wants my case. I am miserable.

Comment from: swill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have had lichen planus for approximately 4 years. After the initial breakout was under control I was left with sores that itch and won't heal. I use, under my dermatologist's care, triamcinolone acetonide cream for maintenance. The initial breakdown was atrocious. Now I find new blisters on my shoulder, which indicates another breakout. The thought of starting over with a whole new breakout is awful.