Lichen Planus - Prognosis

Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?

What is the long-term prognosis of lichen planus??

Lichen planus usually goes away by itself in time. Some drugs can produce rashes that are similar in appearance to lichen planus. These rashes can be distinguished from lichen planus in that they go away when the offending drug is stopped.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: MHL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I first had lichen planus when my body was under severe trauma from broken bones and it lasted 9 months although the scarring lasted longer. It went of its own accord, then it recurred six years later, again I was under extreme stress. I use lidocaine only as no other creams seem to work. Again I went into remission after 9 months. I say remission because you never get rid of it. As an aside I had a frozen shoulder before each bout, and vertical ridges on my nails.

Comment from: Ginger, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

In 2014 I lost both of my sisters and then had some marriage problems, and with all the emotional things going on I developed lichen planus. My back and chest are covered. I itch all the time. I did us a cream and it helped but now it is back starting to spread again. I am just not sure what to do.