Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for lichen planus?

Most lichen planus is relatively mild. Affected individuals who do not have symptoms do not need treatment. Ultimately, there is no agreed-upon cure for this condition.

If the itch or appearance of the rash are unpleasant, topical corticosteroid creams or topical calcineurin inhibitors like tacrolimus or pimecrolimus may be of help. For localized, itchy, thick lesions, injections of corticosteroids directly into the plaque may helpful. Antihistamines may blunt the itch, particularly if it is only moderate. This effect is in part due to the sedative effect of antihistamines. For oral lesions, topical steroids (cortisone) in special oral preparations are available.

In more severe lichen planus, physicians may recommend oral medications or therapy with ultraviolet light. Oral medications may include a course of oral corticosteroids, such as prednisone or acitretin. Occasionally, other immunosuppressive agents may be employed. However, the itching may return after the drug has been discontinued. A low-dose oral corticosteroid every other morning may be also prescribed. For painful lesions within the mouth, special mouthwashes containing a painkiller (such as lidocaine) before meals may provide some relief. Any drug or chemical suspected of being the cause of the lichen planus should be discontinued.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: Ananda, (Patient) Published: October 01

I was affected by lichen planus on my penis 8 months back. I thought it was infection and applied coconut oil only once, and it was cured. But I got erosive lichen planus inside my cheeks. I thought it was canker sore, so I used ghee but it did not get cured. When I knew it was lichen planus then I started applying coconut oil since 10 days. It is healing and only 10 percent is left. Please use coconut oil 5 times daily.

Comment from: Ram, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I observed lichen planus first on my skin around one year back. After 6 to 8 months it spread all over my forearms, elbows, armpits, waist region, groin, hips, and calf region. I visited the best dermatologist, and she prescribed steroids for two weeks but my condition did not change. After that I used homeopathy, but no difference in the condition. I was mentally disturbed, and for several months I stopped using medicines. I started drinking hot water with lemon juice and honey early morning, fasting one day in every week and take as less food as possible. Surprisingly after one week I noticed change and my condition is far better now. Only faded marks are left on my skin. Try this, it may work for you as well, good luck.