Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for lichen planus?

Most lichen planus is relatively mild. Affected individuals who do not have symptoms do not need treatment. Ultimately, there is no agreed-upon cure for this condition.

If the itch or appearance of the rash are unpleasant, topical corticosteroid creams may be of help. Topical steroid creams that, for example, are unwrapping or taped at bedtime may also be useful when practical. For localized, itchy, thick lesions, injections of corticosteroids may be given. Antihistamines may blunt the itch, particularly if it is only moderate. This effect is in part due to the sedative effect of antihistamines.

In more severe cases, physicians may recommend oral medications or therapy with ultraviolet light. Oral medications may include a course of oral corticosteroids such as prednisone or metronidazole (Flagyl). Occasionally, other immunosuppressive agents may be employed. However, the itching may return after the drug has been discontinued. A low-dose oral corticosteroid every other morning may be also prescribed. With continued itching, ultraviolet light (PUVA or NBUVB) treatment may help. For painful lesions within the mouth, the use of special mouthwashes containing a painkiller (such as lidocaine) before meals may provide some relief. Any drug or chemical suspected of being the cause of the lichen planus should be discontinued.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: Peter, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

For lichen planus I use a hairdryer directed toward the itchy area, as close as you can without burning yourself. You will begin to feel intense itching. Hold hair dryer for about 30 seconds beyond that and you will have relief! If you can stop the itching, it will prevent the scarring.

Comment from: Ananda, (Patient) Published: October 01

I was affected by lichen planus on my penis 8 months back. I thought it was infection and applied coconut oil only once, and it was cured. But I got erosive lichen planus inside my cheeks. I thought it was canker sore, so I used ghee but it did not get cured. When I knew it was lichen planus then I started applying coconut oil since 10 days. It is healing and only 10 percent is left. Please use coconut oil 5 times daily.