West Nile Virus - Cause

How did you get West Nile virus? Were you traveling when you became ill?

Please select the black triangle:

How do people get West Nile virus?

People get West Nile virus from bites of a mosquito (primarily the Culex pipiens mosquito) that is infected with the West Nile virus.

Return to West Nile Virus

Comment from: Lifemate, Male Published: June 25

Last year both my husband and I contacted West Nile. Because he has other health issues, COPD and more, he has not recovered well. Last week he was told he has West Nile Encephalitis. A brain scan confirmed the encephalitis. It has effected his thought process and he can sleep and sleep and sleep. No medication has been given. Ugh....I am very concerned for him. any infor out there..?

Comment from: Mango., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I received a call this morning from my Dr. office stating that I had West Nile virus at some point, but I do not now. That was all she said. I don't know what that means. Do I need to treat anything, could that effect some of the health issues I'm having now? It's a little overwhelmed.