Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms of your premature ventricular contractions.

Please select the black square:

What are premature ventricular contraction symptoms?

Patients with mild infrequent premature ventricular contractions often report no symptoms (asymptomatic) and are unaware of their premature ventricular contractions. Their premature ventricular contractions may be discovered when an electrocardiogram (ECG, EKG) is performed for a routine physical, insurance physical, or preoperative evaluation.

Patients with premature ventricular contractions sometimes report palpitations in the chest and in the neck. Palpitations are discomforting feelings due to forceful heartbeats. The heartbeat immediately after a premature ventricular contraction is usually stronger (the heart ventricle contracts more forcefully) than normal. Patients with premature ventricular contractions may report feeling that the heart has stopped briefly. This is because there is usually a brief pause in heartbeat after a premature ventricular contraction when the electrical system of the heart resets. Moreover, the actual premature ventricular contraction beat may not be felt because the heart hasn't had time to fill with blood before beating so patients with PVCs often complain of "skipped" or "missed" beats.

Patients with frequent premature ventricular contractions such as bigeminy (every other heartbeat is a premature ventricular contraction), couplets (two consecutive premature ventricular contractions), or triplets (three consecutive premature ventricular contractions) often report no symptoms. But in rare occasions they may report weakness, dizziness, or fainting. This is because frequent premature ventricular contractions can diminish the ability of the heart to pump blood to the other organs (diminished cardiac output), resulting in low blood pressure.

Patients with three or more consecutive premature ventricular contractions in a row have ventricular tachycardia. Ventricular tachycardia that is prolonged can result in low cardiac output, low blood pressure, and fainting (syncope). Ventricular tachycardia can also develop into ventricular fibrillation, which is a fatal heart rhythm (see below).

Return to Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs)

Comment from: Musician, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been on a seizure medication for 8 years and I am being weaned off due to temporary psycho neurological seizures and not epilepsy. I think this is the issue causing the premature ventricular contractions (PVCs). I recently had a wellness test and came through with flying colors. I am 6", 168 lbs. My blood pressure is an average 120/60. My cholesterol borders to low. I do not drink alcohol, tea, coffee, soda. I rarely eat chocolate and no candy, no junk food or fast food. I have a very healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, greens, fish and very little red meat. I've just recently started having PCVs, 2 episodes lasting off and on for about 20 minutes only after I eat. I feel pressure in my upper chest and neck. I do not physically feel my heart skipping beats unless I"m feeling my pulse. The skipping will be every 3rd beat off and on for about 15 seconds. Another set will be every 5th beat off and on for about 15 seconds. This will randomly repeat for about 20 minutes but only after I eat then I get sleepy and dizzy if I stand up too fast. I hope this helps.

Comment from: jonesey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I hope this helps someone out there to relax who is experiencing the same symptoms. I am 45 and have had premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for years. I went through a tobacco dipping period and this made it worse. I do not intake caffeine much but this seems to make it worse as well. One thing I have not read much of is right before or as I am getting sick the PVCs will worsen. Some nights as I am going to sleep I will get "shocked" out of my sleep. And every time I begin to doze off I get shocked again. This may go on for hours. Then, I have the flutter, pause and pound I call it. They are irritating but can be reduced. So try to relax and take all stressors out of your life and invest 20 to 30 minutes a day to meditate.