Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work

Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?

What methods can help a person quit smoking?

Several methods are available to assist those who decide to quit smoking. The main categories of methods are:

• Behavior modification and self help-literature to quit smoking
  • Self-help literature
  • Nicotine replacement therapy
  • Prescription smoking cessation aids

Each method actually offers several different options. Moreover, combinations of the methods usually are necessary, and no one combination will work for everyone. In fact, it may be necessary to try several different methods or combinations of methods before success is achieved.

Behavioral modification and self-help literature to quit smoking

Due to the addictive nature of nicotine, some form of behavioral modification is often necessary for successful cessation of smoking. Educational programs, hypnosis, and aversion therapy (learning how to avoid cigarettes) are a few options. Smokers may be counseled to avoid specific triggers or situations that lead to smoking. For example, instead of awakening and grabbing a cigarette at the bedside or smoking immediately after a meal, people may be encouraged to replace the urge to smoke with another activity, such as, taking a walk or reading a book.

Numerous medical associations and societies, for example, the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and the American Lung Association, have developed brochures to help smokers quit smoking.

Return to Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)

Comment from: Hottip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years, and until I got a bad chest cold I couldn't stop. I hardly could inhale the cold Colorado air without severe chest pain, so the last thing I wanted was a cigarette. The chest cold lasted for about 2 weeks, and I decided to not take that 1st smoke after I felt better. So the solution is to get a respiratory illness - it just may force you to quit.