Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

What is the treatment for alopecia areata?

The course of typical alopecia areata is not predictable with a high likelihood of spontaneous remission. The longer the period of time of hair loss and the larger the area involved, the less likely the hair will regrow. Therefore, there are a variety of treatments, but none of these can confidently be predicted to impact the course of this disease. Steroid injections and steroid creams, lotions and shampoos have been used for many years.

As with many chronic disorders for which there is no single treatment, a variety of remedies are promoted which in fact have no benefit. There is no known effective method of prevention, although the elimination of emotional stress is felt to be helpful. No drugs or hair-care products have been associated with the onset of alopecia areata.

Although not precisely a treatment, the cosmetic camouflage of alopecia areata is certainly an important consideration in patient management. The damaging emotional effect of significant hair loss for both women and men can be considerable.

Previous contributing author: Zoe Diana Draelos, MD, PA

Return to Alopecia Areata

Comment from: Bronwyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I've had alopecia areata for 8.5 months now. I have had cortisone injections into the scalp and cortisone lotion (which ruined the texture of my hair). I've done laser acupuncture, also taken supplements like Laminine, Biotin, magnesium chelate, an immune-system balancer, Hairpro, and calcium/vitamin D and zinc. Nothing has worked and I have so little hair left. I am now taking Minoxidil and dexamethasone in a last ditch attempt. I have been suffering from migraines the last few days which I don't normally do. Like others I am devastated from this horrible thing."

Comment from: Pauline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have suffered from alopecia areata many times over the last 10 years or more. I have cortisone injections done in the affected spots, the hair does start growing back quite quickly. Your dermatologist should be able to do this for you.