Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for alopecia areata?

The course of typical alopecia areata is not predictable with a high likelihood of spontaneous remission. The longer the period of time of hair loss and the larger the area involved, the less likely the hair will regrow. Therefore, there are a variety of treatments, but none of these can confidently be predicted to impact the course of this disease. Steroid injections and steroid creams, lotions and shampoos have been used for many years.

As with many chronic disorders for which there is no single treatment, a variety of remedies are promoted which in fact have no benefit. There is no known effective method of prevention, although the elimination of emotional stress is felt to be helpful. No drugs or hair-care products have been associated with the onset of alopecia areata.

Although not precisely a treatment, the cosmetic camouflage of alopecia areata is certainly an important consideration in patient management. The damaging emotional effect of significant hair loss for both women and men can be considerable.

Previous contributing author: Zoe Diana Draelos, MD, PA

Return to Alopecia Areata

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 27 and I got alopecia when I was 23 years old. I couldn't stop crying and then a friend of mine offered to take me to go see a doctor and I was told most people get it because of stress that our body feels and hits areas on our head. Being a girl I think it's more stressful because we have long hair and sometimes my spots became noticeable even if I used pony tails. I was given a lotion and some zinc and iron tablets and tried OTC shampoos as Folicure/Pony/Chile and I even used iodine. The doctor told me to rub iodine around it then use the lotion that was given and I had best results with the Folicure shampoo products. I buy them at HEB; they even have tablets and oils and powders and vitamins, all for the hair loss and you'll see awesome results. My doctor told me I can try getting on a diet too and to walk every day and relax and to try to not let things bother me so much.

Comment from: nk186, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have alopecia areata and I have yet to go to the doctor to do blood tests, but I noticed a small bald patch on top of my head a year ago and I did nothing. Then this year it looked bigger so I started to massage my head at night and twice a week use an oil therapy that I massage into my head and sleep with. The next morning I shower and my hair feels soft and my scalp feels good. The oil treatment consists of jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil and tea tree oil. Within two months I noticed little tiny hairs growing. I am not sure if this will work for everyone but I do believe for some this disease is a sign of a malnourished scalp. Massage the spot in the shower and before bed. Hope it works for you.

Stay Informed!