Legionnaires' Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Legionnaires' disease in you, a friend, or relative?

Please select the black square:

What are the usual symptoms of Legionnaires' disease?

Patients with Legionnaires' disease usually develop a fever, chills, and a cough. The cough may either be dry or produce sputum. Some patients with Legionnaires' disease also have muscle aches, headache, tiredness, loss of appetite, and occasionally diarrhea. Legionnaires' disease can cause a severe pneumonia, seriously affect breathing, even lead to respiratory failure and adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). In some cases, the heart rate is slower than expected for the degree of fever. There are no specific symptoms that directly identify Legionnaires' pneumonia. Legionnaires' pneumonia presents in a manner similar to Chlamydia pneumonia and Mycoplasma pneumonia, so-called atypical pneumonias (previously referred to as "walking pneumonia"). These are referred to as atypical because, unlike typical pneumonia (as characterized by Streptococcus pneumonia), which involves high, spiking fevers, sudden onset, cough, and purulent sputum and often chest pain and a localized infiltrate on chest X-ray. They can have a less virulent presentation despite very diffuse infiltrates on chest X-ray.

People with Pontiac fever experience a self-limiting influenza-like illness with fever, chills, headache, and muscle aches but, by definition, do not have pneumonia. Affected individuals generally recover in two to five days without treatment.

Return to Legionnaires' Disease

Comment from: peachie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I stayed at a hotel and got Legionnaires' disease from the air conditioner. How do I know? I stayed in April in the same room and got sick. I woke up on the 5th day with a terrible sore throat. I had a strep test which was negative so I just assumed it was a virus and treated it as such, that is, lots of rest and liquids, vitamin C, and zinc, etc. I just stayed in the same hotel and voila! I woke up on the 5th day with a terrible sore throat. This time it was too much of a coincidence so I did some research on water since it was a room air conditioner and got tested with a urine antigen before taking any antibiotics. The culture came back positive. I'm not really into taking medications and by the time the culture came back, I was feeling much better... just slight cough. So the only thing I did do was alert the health department in the city I was staying in to check the hotel so others don't get sick.

Comment from: ND Female, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Sickness, headache, high fever, fatigue, confusion, and muscle aches are my symptoms of Legionnaire's disease. I had been on a road trip and I became listless. There was no improvement and my husband took me to walk-in-clinic twice, and the second time the doctor said to go to the emergency room (ER) to be admitted to hospital for pneumonia. I was hospitalized for 1 month in ICU for 10 days. Last week of hospital stay involved rehabilitation, I am learning to walk again. After 1 year I'm still not 100%, I have low back pain, neck pain, and mental slowness with thought processes. I do not know where or how I acquired this bacteria.