Warts - Seeing a Doctor

Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.

What if wart removal treatments fail?

If these treatments fail, see a doctor to freeze the wart with liquid nitrogen or burn it with an electric needle. First, however, make sure that the doctor treats warts in this manner (or some related manner) since some primary doctors do not use special methods and may refer individuals to a dermatologist.

Other treatments a doctor may use are

• imiquimod (Aldara), an immune-stimulator that is approved for use on genital warts but has been reported to be effective in some common warts as well; note that it is quite expensive;
  • injections of candidin (a extract to test for sensitivity to Candida yeast);
  • injections of bleomycin, a chemotherapeutic agent used in cancer treatment;
  • surgery.

Unless warts are very large and uncomfortable, surgical removal or aggressive laser surgery to remove the warts is generally avoided. Since warts are caused by a virus, they may recur following attempts at surgical removal or any other modality of therapy.

Return to Warts (Common Warts)

Comment from: Jennie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

As a child I had a wart on the tip of my nose. Yes I was humiliated, as kids are mean. After my doctor removed it several times he finally froze it and it never returned! It's not fun.

Comment from: tudor, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 07

A wart first appeared on my right-hand nostril. My doctor agreed to remove it surgically by inserting a surgical syringe into the affected area, but warned me that there was a good chance that it would re-appear. It did, 3 weeks before I was due to go on holiday. I knew that it was too late for the doctor to have a second go, so I searched the web for possible cures. The favorite was covering the wart with silver backed duct tape, (must be silver), which I did. Ten days later the wart had disappeared, and, some 2 years later, it has not returned. Quick, painless, and cost free. It's worth a try. Better than the doctor's method.