Warts - Seeing a Doctor

Why did you go to a doctor for wart removal? Was it successful? Please discuss your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What if wart removal treatments fail?

If these treatments fail, or if you become impatient, see your doctor to freeze the wart with liquid nitrogen or burn it with an electric needle. First, however, make sure that the doctor treats warts in this manner (or some related manner) since some primary doctors do not use special methods and may refer you to a dermatologist.

Other treatments your doctor may use are

• imiquimod (Aldara), an immune-stimulator that is approved for use on genital warts but has been reported to be effective in some common warts as well; note that it is quite expensive;
  • injections of candidin (a extract to test for sensitivity to candida yeast);
  • injections of bleomycin, a chemotherapeutic agent used in cancer treatment;
  • surgery.

Unless warts are very large and uncomfortable, surgical removal or aggressive laser surgery to remove the warts is generally avoided. Since warts are caused by a virus, they may recur following attempts at surgical removal or any other modality of therapy.

Return to Warts (Common Warts)

Comment from: Ali, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I just came back from the clinic after removing a foot wart. It's been causing me pain for a week or two specially when walking on bare feet. I thought it was a small piece of glass that went into my foot yet I don't remember stepping on broken glass. The doctor found out it's a wart. I can tell that it happened when I went to the beach a month ago.

Comment from: Nana, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

I have taken my granddaughter to two specialists to deal with a wart on the tip of her nose. The first doctor sold us medicine for 86 dollars and it blistered up and it seem to mostly go away but it returned bigger and uglier! It is embarrassing for her. The second doctor froze it off, but again it came back even bigger. Now I'm looking to find another doctor to try to get it off. It sticks out so easily because it started on the tip of her nose but now is long and down to her left nasal cavity.