Esophageal Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with esophageal cancer?

Please select the white circle:

Symptoms

Early esophageal cancer may not cause symptoms. As the cancer grows, the most common symptoms are:

• Food gets stuck in the esophagus, and food may come back up
  • Pain when swallowing
  • Pain in the chest or back
  • Weight loss
  • Heartburn
  • A hoarse voice or cough that doesn't go away within 2 weeks

These symptoms may be caused by esophageal cancer or other health problems. If you have any of these symptoms, you should tell your doctor so that problems can be diagnosed and treated as early as possible.

Return to Esophageal Cancer

Comment from: Holli, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My husband had a terrible history of heartburn and acid reflux. He self medicated with over-the-counter pills and liquids for a number of years. He noticed he started losing weight and was pleased, as he was a little overweight. The weight came off slowly at first, but then he was unable to swallow and felt like food was getting stuck and he needed to belch. After waiting a month to see the family doctor, then another month for GI doctor, he had the esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) and biopsy. It turns out those were symptoms of esophageal cancer. He did traditional chemotherapy/radiation and it spread to his spine. He is now in clinical trials after his oncologist provided a 6-month to two-year survival rate. He is 45 years old and otherwise healthy. We are hopeful now, which is more than we had last year. My strong advice to anyone is this: get a second opinion and push for the resection if it is possible.

Comment from: dualdisk, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I was diagnosed with stage 3 esophageal cancer in June of 2008, had surgery in July, then radiation and chemotherapy. It's now January of 2014 and I was discharged from my oncologist in November of 2013. I was told by my oncologist I had a 15% survival rate the first year. So for everyone who has this horrible disease there is hope. Cancer research has come a long way. Just another thought, a friend of mine was diagnosed with the same cancer and 2 years later the cancer returned. He started chemotherapy again and was told he only had 6 months to live, well it's been a year and he is still with us. So the doctors don't always know what they are talking about.