Diabetes Treatment - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your diabetes.

What is the treatment for diabetes?

The major goal in treating diabetes is to minimize any elevation of blood sugar (glucose) without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar. Type 1 diabetes is treated with insulin, exercise, and a diabetic diet. Type 2 diabetes is treated first with weight reduction, a diabetic diet, and exercise. When these measures fail to control the elevated blood sugars, oral medications are used. If oral medications are still insufficient, treatment with insulin is considered.

Adherence to a diabetic diet is an important aspect of controlling elevated blood sugar in patients with diabetes. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) has provided guidelines for a diabetic diet. The ADA diet is a balanced, nutritious diet that is low in fat, cholesterol, and simple sugars. The total daily calories are evenly divided into three meals. In the past two years, the ADA has lifted the absolute ban on simple sugars. Small amounts of simple sugars are allowed when consumed with a complex meal.

Weight reduction and exercise are important treatments for diabetes. Weight reduction and exercise increase the body's sensitivity to insulin, thus helping to control blood sugar elevations.

Return to Diabetes Treatment

Comment from: Mr.Goradia, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I have been diabetic for the past 16 years. For 12 years I have been controlling my sugar with 3 tablets daily. But in 2006 rainy season I happened to get a fever and I was a victim of malaria. This was the turning point for me to convert my diabetes to worst. I was asked to start insulin. Since 2004 I have been injecting insulin 3 times a day. Total 30 unit of insulin I take daily. Last year in 2010 November I happen to start treatment. For starting 3 months I was on toxin free treatment then this year Feb I started my diabetes medicine. today my 14 unit insulin has been reduced. Herbal medicine does work wonder especially when it's taken on time and in proper time advised by experts.

Comment from: Geoff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 2 years ago. I went on Metformin which helped control my blood sugar but the side effects included severe diarrhea and an itchy rash. Doctor prescribed glyburide which worked very well in controlling my blood sugar but I later developed a severe rash and debilitating itchiness. I am now on januvia which is not working for the blood sugar and the rash is ongoing. I have mild blood pressure challenges for which I am taking lisinopril. I am a prostate cancer survivor.