Hair Loss - Women

If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments.

Please select the white circle:

Is hair loss in women different than men?

Female-pattern baldness

Women lose hair on an inherited (genetic) basis, too, but the female pattern tends to be more diffuse, with less likelihood of the crown and frontal hairline being lost. Although some women may notice hair thinning as early as their 20s, the pace of hair loss tends to be gradual, often taking years to become obvious to others. There seems to be a normal physiologic thinning that comes with age and occurs in many women in their early to mid-30s. More women have underlying causes of hair loss than men. These include treatable conditions like anemia and thyroid disease and polycystic ovary syndrome. These conditions are diagnosed by blood tests along with a historical and physical evidence. Although a few studies have suggested that baldness may be inherited through the mother's family genes, these theories require further testing. Current studies are inconclusive.

While stories about hats choking off follicles or long hair pulling on the roots may be more folklore, repeat hair trauma like tightly woven hair pulled back and consistent friction can potentially worsen or cause localized hair loss in some individuals. Individuals who pull their hair tightly back in a rubber band can develop a localized hair loss at the front of the scalp.

Hair loss "myths" of special concern to women

• Longer hair does not necessarily put a strain on roots.
  • Shampooing does not accelerate hair loss; it just removes those that were ready to fall out anyway.
  • Coloring, perming, and conditioning the hair do not usually cause hair loss. Burns or severe processing may cause hair loss and breakage. Styles that pull tight may cause some loss, but hair coloring and "chemicals" usually don't.
Return to Hair Loss

Comment from: angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

My doctor prescribed iron Euro-Fer capsules twice a day for a month for the first time to build up my iron level. And in two weeks my hair started to fall out, looked like a bird nest, dry and brittle and itchy nonstop and even hot flashes! Before when I first saw him, my iron level was low to begin with, but I had a full set of hair on my head! And no hot flashes.

Comment from: Amanda, Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hair has always been my pride and joy. I figured since it is pretty healthy, it could deal with some bleach damage. And I figured the master stylist who did all the color corrections would know how much would be too much. I was wrong, and now I want to burst into tears every time I look at my hair or touch it. I just don't know what to do. My hair has also never been shorter than this and it breaks and falls out.