Hair Loss - Age and Pattern

How old were you when you first experienced hair loss? How would you describe or classify the pattern?

Please select the black square:

How do physicians classify hair loss?

There are numerous ways to categorize hair loss. One must first examine the scalp to determine if the hair loss is due to the physical destruction and loss of hair follicles. If the scalp appears perfectly normal with plenty of follicular structures (which seem to be simply unoccupied) this is called non-scarring hair loss. On the other hand, the follicles are permanently destroyed in scarring hair loss. Localized, small areas, large areas or the whole scalp may be affected in scarring and non-scarring hair loss. Occasionally, it may be necessary to do a biopsy of the scalp to distinguish these conditions. Sometimes, a physician may pull a hair to examine the percentage of hairs in the growth (anagen phase). This article will concentrate on the non-scarring types of hair loss.

Patchy hair loss

Some conditions produce small areas of hair loss, while others affect large areas of the scalp. Common causes of patchy hair loss are

• alopecia areata (small circular or coin size patches of scalp baldness that usually grow back within months),
  • traction alopecia (thinning from tight braids or ponytails),
  • trichotillomania (the habit of twisting or pulling hair out),
  • tinea capitis (fungal infection).
Return to Hair Loss

Comment from: shamaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had traction alopecia and was advised by a doctor to stop ponytails and tight hair styles and use Minoxidil. I did and used Minoxidil on my temple and nape areas for over a year and all the hair grew back, impressive. But 3 to 4months of not using this product I lost all my hair on the front and back, I get the feeling more than 200 hair falls off every day, because the baldness is spreading to the back. I started taking vitamins for hair, skin and nails and a daily women's vitamin pill. But for topical application I have used aloe vera, olive oil, lavender oil, argon oil, castor oil, cayenne pepper treatment, Dr. Miracle's nape and temple growth and strengthening cream, nada, the hair is still falling, we do not have advanced technology here in Africa for the various hair tests but there is no bald person in both my families.

Comment from: robertronaldforrest@, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

My hair loss began in my 20s and has continued to this time. The daily loss is far above 100 to 150, the normal loss level. Although I have no bald spot, my hair loss continues to get worse, much thinner hair, much more hair loss each wash. My hair loss is from all areas of my scalp even low on the back of my neck. Recent blood work and scalp biopsy reveals no negative conditions yet my hair continues to fall out at greater and greater rates. The recent scalp biopsy stated the features of androgenic alopecia not seen nor telogen effluvium are not seen, yet my hair continues to get thinner and thinner. Taking 1 mg finasteride daily for one year now has shown no improvement at all. I have only 1/10 the hair I had at 20 years old; something wrong, but I don't know what.