Corns and Calluses - Risks

Are your shoes too tight? Explain the reasons why you think you developed corns or calluses.

Please select the black triangle:

What causes corns and calluses to develop?

Hyperkeratosis simply means thickening of the skin. This thickening occurs as a natural defense mechanism that strengthens the skin in areas of friction or excessive pressure. Abnormal anatomy of the feet, such as hammertoe or other toe deformities, can lead to corn or callus formation as can bony prominences in the feet. Footwear that is too short or too tight or that exerts friction at specific points can also cause skin thickening that leads to corns and calluses. Abnormalities in gait or movement that result in increased pressure to specific areas can also be the cause.

It can be hard to know why finger corns develop since they often don't appear at sites of obvious pressure. Finger calluses may develop in response to using tools, playing musical instruments such as the guitar, or using work equipment that exerts pressure at specific sites.

Return to Corns

Comment from: k, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have a corn under my foot about 2 cm under my small toe. I have never worn tight shoes or high heels I wear open sandals or takkies. I don't know why I would get a corn! The doctor froze it once with hot ice but it is back. Today I dug it out, hope it stays away.

Comment from: MAHall, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had a Morton's neuroma on my right foot and have been dealing with that for a couple of years now. I have been using a metatarsal pad to help alleviate that problem. Over time I believe my toes are shifting at the neuroma and now I have developed my first ever corn on my second toe next to my big toe. I am also noticing a hard spot on my big toe. Almost like some sort of callus but harder right where the corn rubs. Almost like a formation on the bone.