Corns and Calluses - Prevention

How do you prevent recurrences of corns or calluses? Have you changed the type or style of shoes you wear?

Please select the black square:

How can corns and calluses be prevented?

In many situations, calluses and corns can be prevented by reducing or eliminating the circumstances that lead to increased pressure at specific points on the hands and feet. Potential preventive measures therefore include the following:

1. Wearing well-fitting, comfortable shoes is useful. The idea is to avoid having footgear press on the outside of the fifth toe or pressing the fourth and fifth toes together to prevent corns in these areas;
  2. Another approach is to pad the potentially affected area. Many sorts of padding are available at the drugstore:
    • cushions to put between the toes;
    • foam or moleskin pads to put over the places where corns form;
    • foam pads with holes in the center (like donuts or bagels), which redistribute pressure around the corn instead of right over it;
    • cushioned insoles to pad your feet and alleviate mechanical pressure.
Return to Corns

Comment from: SIDHU, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

Avoid leather shoes, and if you wear them daily, don't use socks again and again. Make sure you wash them after wearing them each time. I also apply powder on my feet.

Comment from: DMKay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I have suffered with hyper keratosis covering both feet since the age of 2 years. I have been treated over the years with numerous treatments and surgeries which have simply exacerbated the problem. I have custom made orthotic footwear, I apply a 40% urea cream twice daily, sometimes 3 times a day. I have a podiatrist debride the feet on a monthly basis. I wish someone would find a solution that would decrease the pain and prevent the bleeding when treated.