Corns and Calluses - Seeing a Doctor

Not ready to share? Read other Patient Comments

If you have corns or calluses, what were your reasons for seeking medical help?

Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously.Patient Comments FAQs

Enter your Comment

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users. (Optional)

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient: Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver

* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!

I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

Please select the black square:

When should someone seek professional treatment for corns or calluses?

If the corn is bothersome and doesn't respond to salicylic acid and trimming, consider seeing a physician or podiatrist who can physically pare corns with scalpels. Podiatrists also can measure and fit people with orthotic devices to redistribute their weight on their feet while they walk so that pressure from the foot bones doesn't focus on their corns. (Off-the-shelf cushioned insoles are one size fits all and may not be effective.)

People with fragile skin or poor circulation in the feet (including many people with diabetes or peripheral arterial disease) should consult their health-care professional as soon as corns or calluses develop. Further, someone should seek medical care immediately if corns or calluses show signs of infection (such as increasing pain, the presence of pus or other drainage, swelling, and redness).

Surgical removal of corns is rarely necessary. When a corn is surgically removed, the pressure that caused it to form in the first place will just make it come back if this pressure is not removed or reduced. When necessary, surgery for corns involves shaving the underlying bone or correcting any deformity that is causing undue pressure or friction on the skin.

Return to Corns

See what others are saying

Comment from: CalMom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had agonizing pain from my corns all night without relief. I needed some type of medication that would bring relief from the pain.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: shazy/smurf/TUKESMYL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was born with a club foot and have no connecting bone and due to this i have always walked toe heal on my left foot in which over the years i have developed pure callus which goes all the way across to the other side of mt foot and on one side below my little toe is one whole with 2 corns inside and below my big toe another corn with 3 corns inside. My doctor sends me every 8-12 weeks to the nhs podiatry and then i pay 30 every 10-14 days private. To help myself i have bought the 2 top pedi's to sand down the callus and have got all the creams you can think of. I can't use any corn plasters or drawing ointments as my corns are that deep things like that will make it worse. Some days i can hardly walk as the pain is so bad really bad. I have asked the nhs podiatry and my private podiatry and they all so i just have to live with it? There must be a some kind of operation out there some sort of better advice out there as the pain is so excruciating. My parents are prepared to pay private for me if there is an operation to remove them. So if there is help out there please let me know!!! Desperate. P.s even had orthotics made to fit in my shoes in which doesn't help my painful corns one bit and now my orthopedic surgeon wants to operate to stretch my leg. Just having a new orthotic made that will be attached on the outside of mt working shoes/trainers. If anyone out there does read this and there is a cure please begging you please let me know .

Was this comment helpful?Yes


Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors