Binswanger's Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Binswanger's disease in someone you know?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of Binswanger's disease?

The symptoms associated with Binswanger's disease are related to the disruption of subcortical neural circuits that control what neuroscientists call executive cognitive functioning:

• short-term memory,

• organization,

• mood,

• the regulation of attention,

• the ability to act or make decisions, and

• appropriate behavior.

The most characteristic feature of Binswanger's disease is psychomotor slowness - an increase in the length of time it takes, for example, for the fingers to turn the thought of a letter into the shape of a letter on a piece of paper.

Other symptoms include:

• forgetfulness (but not as severe as the forgetfulness of Alzheimer's disease),

• changes in speech,

• an unsteady gait,

• clumsiness or frequent falls,

• changes in personality or mood (most likely in the form of apathy, irritability, and depression), and

• urinary symptoms that aren't caused by urological disease.
Return to Binswanger's Disease

Comment from: bkelsoe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had had a stoke five years ago only on the left side of my brain. When I had an MRI, I had some small spots on my brain in which small blood vessels had died off. Recently I had more tests because I've had some problems with falling and sleeping at bad times while driving. I just found out I have narcolepsy, but a few weeks ago, a doctor noticed that I have a problem with talking. She sent me to another specialist, who also told me I had quite a few spots on my brain. He said they might be from high blood pressure or diabetes. I want to know why I am having other problems also, like spelling words I know. I also don't always type what I know is right and have to go back and change so many words. The doctor said he thought I was on to many meds. He didn't really help at all he didn't look at my chart. I need some answers.

Comment from: sweeteee53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with subcortical vascular dementia of the Binswanger's type. This is truly hell. I have taken a walk around the block and have gotten lost. I am unable to drive, which really makes life difficult. I fall, drop almost everything I touch, and get so confused sometimes.