Cancer Prevention - Concerns and Prevention

What are your concerns about developing cancer? Please describe your experience with cancer prevention.

Please select the white circle:

What is cancer prevention?

Cancer prevention is action taken to lower the chance of getting cancer. By preventing cancer, the number of new cases of cancer in a group or population is lowered. Hopefully, this will lower the number of deaths caused by cancer.

Cancer is not a single disease but a group of related diseases. Many things in our genes, our lifestyle, and the environment around us may increase or decrease our risk of getting cancer.

Scientists are studying many different ways to help prevent cancer, including the following:

• Ways to avoid or control things known to cause cancer.
  • Changes in diet and lifestyle.
  • Finding precancerous conditions early. Precancerous conditions are conditions that may become cancer.
  • Chemoprevention (medicines to treat a precancerous condition or to keep cancer from starting).
Return to Cancer Prevention

Comment from: OCEAN66, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have cirrhosis of the liver stage 4. I did have hepatitis B but it is gone now. I smoke, and wonder what my chances are of getting or having cancer. I cannot keep weight on and have had a feeding tube in me for 4 years, since they found all this out at which time I weighed 72 pounds, with tube I am 95. I never have an appetite and my bones hurt me constantly. I feel like I have the flu all the time.