Norovirus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for norovirus infections in adults, children, and babies?

There is no specific treatment or medication for norovirus. It is important that infected individuals remain well hydrated, drinking plenty of fluids. Fluids containing electrolytes and sugars should be encouraged. Over the counter antidiarrheal medications may be used according to directions but should be avoided in cases with severe abdominal pain or fever. Some researchers advise people to avoid these medications if possible as they may prolong the disease.

Return to Norovirus Infection

Comment from: noname, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Originally, I ate one chocolate-covered strawberry, felt bad two hours later, and spent two hours that night on the toilet with dry heaves and light diarrhea. I also had, not cramps, but stomach pain. In 24 hours, all was well. However, one week later, I felt cruddy again, with all-day loose stools. My granddaughter, who lives with me, had the same symptoms. It took a week for her to recover. I'm on day 5 and feel much better, but am dizzy and weak. I've just crossed the barrier to hoping I can eat something substantial soon. The best treatments for me were Imodium, Donnatal, Tylenol, and popcorn. Drinking ginger ale before bedtime caused hours, literally, of heartburn, reflux, and burping. I'm thinking that I have had an attack of acute norovirus followed a week later by a relapse. Weird; no fun.

Comment from: Sickman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My norovirus infection started the first week of September and I still have it 10/13/2013. I have been in the Hospital five times for IV treatment and think it's time to go back again , I am still having trouble getting food or liquid down, the specialist sadly told me this could last 3 months. The good thing is every time I get the IV treatment the pain and sick feeling goes away but when I get home two days later it starts all over.