Norovirus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?

What is the treatment for norovirus infections in adults, children, and babies?

There is no specific treatment or medication for norovirus. It is important that infected individuals remain well hydrated, drinking plenty of fluids. Fluids containing electrolytes and sugars should be encouraged. Over-the-counter antidiarrheal medications may be used according to directions but should be avoided in cases with severe abdominal pain or fever. Some researchers advise people to avoid these medications if possible as they may prolong the disease.

Return to Norovirus Infection

Comment from: Sickman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My norovirus infection started the first week of September and I still have it 10/13/2013. I have been in the Hospital five times for IV treatment and think it's time to go back again , I am still having trouble getting food or liquid down, the specialist sadly told me this could last 3 months. The good thing is every time I get the IV treatment the pain and sick feeling goes away but when I get home two days later it starts all over.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

The absolute worst illness I've ever had. I had the flu over 25 years ago and norovirus was a million times worse. I contracted it during Thanksgiving, from my niece who had been ill and throwing up after daycare. Within 24 hours I noticed a terrible sharp pain in my stomach. Less than 24 hours later I was experiencing chills, fatigue and tightening pain in my stomach. Symptoms worsened within a few hours until all I could do is curl up in a ball and sleep. Sweating and body aches lasted throughout the following day with piercing abdominal pain, very swollen stomach and diarrhea. The final day was all throwing up and less diarrhea, but I was thankful to finally be feeling better! Ugh.