Excessive Sweating - Experience

Please describe your experience with excessive sweating.

What is hyperhidrosis?

Hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, is a common disorder that produces a lot of unhappiness. An estimated 2%-3% of Americans suffer from excessive sweating of the underarms (axillary hyperhidrosis) or of the palms and soles of the feet (palmoplantar hyperhidrosis). Underarm problems tend to start around puberty, while palm and sole sweating may begin earlier, often during childhood. Untreated, these problems may continue throughout life.

Sweating is embarrassing, it stains clothes, and it complicates business and social interactions. Severe cases can have serious practical consequences as well, making it hard for people who suffer from it to hold a pen, grip a steering wheel, or shake hands.

Return to Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)

Comment from: Sweety, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

I have had problems with excessive sweating since I was 13. My father and brother have the same problem. I've tried all kinds of things. I used to drink about 4 to 6 coffees a day and gave it up for a week. During that time, I noticed my sweating was not as bad. I substituted tea for coffee and noticed within minutes I was sweating badly. It did not occur to me that it was the tea or coffee> Then I put it to the test and had Milo (a chocolate drink) yes, my sweating was just about totally gone. I did this for two full weeks, but missed having a cuppa, so I thought I would try tea again. Within minutes, I was sweating. OK: so now I knew it was the caffeine that was doing this to me. I tried Mitchum, as I have no smell at all using this antiperspirant and deodorant. Many years later, I'm still sweating. One day while showering I looked at the scourer I use to scrub my feet. Anyway, I thought I had nothing to lose, so I soaped it up, scrubbed under my arms, and got rid of the dead skin cells. It worked! To this day, I do this every day and I don't sweat anymore. I can't believe that I can wear a light-colored shirt and not have any sweat marks. This cost nothing and worked for me.

Stay Informed!