Taste Disorders - Experience

Please describe your experience with taste disorders.

What are the taste disorders?

The most common taste disorder is phantom taste perception; that is, a lingering, often unpleasant taste even though you have nothing in your mouth. We also can experience a reduced ability to taste sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami, a condition called hypogeusia. Some people cannot detect any tastes, which is called ageusia. True taste loss, however, is rare. Most often, people are experiencing a loss of smell instead of a loss of taste.

In other disorders of the chemical senses, an odor, a taste, or a flavor may be distorted. Dysgeusia is a condition in which a foul, salty, rancid, or metallic taste sensation will persist in the mouth. Dysgeusia is sometimes accompanied by burning mouth syndrome, a condition in which a person experiences a painful burning sensation in the mouth. Although it can affect anyone, burning mouth syndrome is most common in middle-aged and older women.

Return to Taste Disorders

Comment from: Hardship, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have a heightened sense of both foul taste and smell for over 8 months. The foul taste and smell never changes. I cannot distinguish smell or taste of almost all foods, chemicals and environmental smells. I have lost over 30 pounds within 3 weeks when my sense of smell and taste changed. I have had every test possible and nothing shows up. Some raw vegetables and berries is pretty much my diet. My doctors are stumped. This started after having a severe sinus infection. It has restricted my ability to enjoy life making it unbearable to socialize.

Comment from: smine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I suffered a severe oral event 4 months ago. Gums turned brownish then white. There were multiple lesions on gums, tongue, throat and palate. I nearly couldn"t eat. I became dehydrated with sodium dropping to 127. I was treated initially with Nystatin, viscous lidocaine and amoxicillin. Two days later I started Flagyl and Famvir. Gums and mouth were extremely sore and bloody with inability to brush teeth. Four months later food tastes flavorless. Sweet isn"t really sweet. Now I eat Jell-O and peanut brittle. Food holds no pleasure. Still there are places on tongue that have a raised feeling. Two dental checkups and cleanings indicate gums are much improved in color and appearance but still I must use caution when flossing. I was treated with steroid dose pack two months ago but nothing changed. My mouth 4 months ago looked like someone"s with stomatitis following chemotherapy. My continued diminished taste sounds like a post chemotherapy or radiation patient but none of these contributing factors is true for me. I hate eating since it holds no joy for me any longer. I lost about 15 pounds. Tart lemonade tastes pretty good but not much else. I miss my old life with steaks on the grill, a nice red wine or a sweet piece of cake. Most things taste salty, even coffee and milk. Bread is disgusting and gummy. Pork, chicken and beef are all mushy meat. Sweet things don"t taste sweet. My mouth has a sour/bitter taste so now I chew gum to get rid of the taste. My mouth swab 4 months ago indicated a positive herpes simplex, something I never had before.

Stay Informed!